• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

audio app that mutes music when getting gps instructions?

Hi all. New to the forums but I have been using android for years. Recently went from a Droid 2 to a LG G2 and fond out that the new version of google maps uses "ducking" to quiet down the music while giving directions while the version on my Droid 2 stopped the music so I can clearly hear the directions. I understand some people prefer ducking so I don't wanna get into which way is better. I simply want a solution to my problem.

The problem I'm having is when giving GPS directions, Google maps seems to lower the volume of the music by less than 10% (almost unnoticeable) while the voice for the GPS directions are about 1/2 the volume of the music. So you can't hear the directions at all. This basically makes my new phone useless for navigation and music at the same time (the 2 things I use it for most) I essentially have to choose between driving in complete silence so I can hear the GPS directions or listening to music and not know where I'm going. And the GPS voice volume is tied directly into the music volume instead of the notification volume so I can't even adjust it that way. No matter how loud I make it, the voice is still half as loud as the music.

My question is does anyone know of an media player app that will cut itself off when the GPS is speaking or at least lower it's volume enough to make the GPS audible? Or perhaps another GPS app that does a better job of making the directions audible? I used to love google maps but now it is essentially broken

LG G2, Android 4.2.2 (stock), google maps version 7.5.0, default media player

Reactions: FIA
For anyone who reads this in the future and has the same problem. I sort of found a solution. I found that the free media player Double Twist will pause the music when the GPS gives directions making them clearly audible. I don't particularly like the interface on Double Twist but I only have to use it for music while driving. This of course doesn't solve the problem for people who want to use internet radio apps and such. It only solves the problem for people listening to music already on the device

Upvote 0
Poweramp appears to support music pause while getting navigation instructions. I've never tested it, so, I can't testify that it works.

If you decide to download it (free trial, then you have to pay) checkout the settings menu > Audio > Audio Focus. On the Audio Focus screen there is an entry for "Short Audio Focus" which specifically mentions notifications and navigation.

If you check it out, let me know how it worked out!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones