• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Augmented Reality / Camera apps

Adrift

Android Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2009
Corpus Christi, TX
Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone else has tried a 3rd party camera app (like CameraFX) or an augmented reality app yet. My Moment wont render the image from the camera correctly it's all green and staticy looking. sorry for the terrible description.

Has anyone tried an AR or 3rd party camera app? Or can you and then tell me if your moment is working fine with it or not?

Thanks!

layar worked

fxcamera is a near solid green set of vertical lines

spectrek light has a multiple copies side-by-side of the camera view in black and white with static lines

I'm hoping the reason for these issues is that the app developer is using some non-standard methods of getting camera image data, because otherwise this could be a bad omen for android.

Upvote 0
Hmm relief and dissapoinment at the same time...

My phone isn't borked but it may be a problem with android...

Funny thing is with FXcamera, taking a picture the photo comes out fine. This makes me think something is interfering with the display, like maybe it is trying to run it through the stock camera app and then through the third party app? Where as Layar simply utilizes the stock camera app. I dont know.

Upvote 0
Layar works for me on the Moment. Barcode Scanner was not working due to an issue with the way the Moment reports its preview format, but the fix is currently in SVN. I'm wondering if the issues with other camera apps are due to the same problem. More info about the Barcode Scanner bug here.
I was wondering why Barcode Scanner wasnt working properly. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Barcode Scanner devs seemed to think this may have been a phone bug, it's quite possible the camera is misreporting it's mode, which would be causing these problems.

I've got some kind of problem with the default camera app not working now, pretty sure it's something I installed from market but can't figure out what, anyone else just getting a blank screen on the built-in camera app?

Upvote 0
I'm having the same camera errors with SpecTrek Lite. I downloaded Barcode Scanner early this morning, so I believe I got the upgraded version, and it does indeed work with my Moment. CameraFX works as well.

SpecTrek is also having issues with the GPS and the Compass, but considering the lack of proper support in CDMA 1.5, I'm not terribly surprised, just waiting for that update...

Upvote 0
I'm the author of SpecTrek and stumbled on this thread when looking for clues on the Samsung Moment camera problems.

We are working on the issue, but without a Moment to test on, we have trouble locating the cause. I will send an email to the author of "FxCamera", maybe he/she can shed some light on the issue.

Any hints are appreciated.

VerusZetec, what kind of problems do you encounter with GPS and the compass? Any other apps that have those problems, or is it just SpecTrek? (we haven't received any complaints about GPS/compass so I'm very curious).

Upvote 0
VerusZetec, what kind of problems do you encounter with GPS and the compass? Any other apps that have those problems, or is it just SpecTrek? (we haven't received any complaints about GPS/compass so I'm very curious).

The GPS issues are the Moment's... not tied to any apps. You can read about it in this thread:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/15931-gps-has-failed.html

Basically aGPS is semi-broken and seems to only work if WiFi is on (or is it off? I forget right now)... so it's nothing you could address via your software.

Upvote 0
Hello Pieter007,

I'd like to thank you for your rapid response. I contacted you earlier today via email, after seeing you had recently updated SpecTrek. I had assumed others had already emailed you concerning the problem, but it seems few did. I am glad I went ahead and contacted you on this matter, seeing how quickly you respond.

After testing SpecTrek further, I can report that GPS and Compass are both working normally on my device. The only problem I am encountering is the camera view.

Hopefully you can figure this out

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
The author of FxCamera gave me the fix he implemented. It was ridiculously simple: just leave out some of the camera initialization code that Google recommends you use.

In my case, the only thing to leave out would be the "set camera preview size to 480x320". I am not convinced that this will solve the problem, but then again it just might. So I build a version of "SpecTrek Light" with this fix in place and placed it on our webserver:
http://www.spectrekking.com/download/spectrek-light-moment.apk

Can anyone with a Samsung Moment test this version and check whether the camera now works correctly?

Upvote 0
This is what I love about Android that you don't see with the other platforms: Developers and users working together in a timely manner for the greater good :)

The GPS/compass issue I was having seems to be resolved. I'm not sure if it was a teething issue on a brand new phone, or if the place I happened to test/notice the issue had some sort of magnetic anomaly.

I'm downloading the moment .apk now, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your hard work, I really appreciate it :)

edit: Silly me, I can't start a game until I have a GPS fix, and i'm tied to a phone at my desk all day (inside). I'm gonna have to wait until i can get a chance to get a break. I'll keep you guys posted.

edit again: Just noticed a typo in the GPS options -- "excellend signal" instead of "excellent signal". Just FYI. :)

Upvote 0
Hi,
have you seen AndAR alreay? It is a marker based augmented reality application for android:

on youtube:
YouTube - AndAR Model Viewer

Instructions:
HowToBuildApplicationsBasedOnAndAR - andar - This page describes how someone can build augmented reality applications using AndAR. - Project Hosting on Google Code

in the market:
andarqrcode.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones