• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Avail 2] Root available?

Well I have a build from cm10 source. I put together a working graphics.c file to get rid of the white screen. Also the no file contexts bug is gone. This build does reboot but it takes some time 2~3 minutes. Finally mount usb storage still does not work.
Here is my graphics.c and a recovery.log of an attempted usb storage mount.

ANY IDEAS?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B26fWtQUgRZqbWtLQjc5U3NiOW8/edit?usp=sharing

Upvote 0
looks good only a few errors and no usb storage. It looks like it should be working though.

E:unknown volume for path [/cache/recovery/log]
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:unknown volume for path [/cache/recovery/last_log]
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:unknown volume for path [/cache/recovery/command]
W:Can't unlink /cache/recovery/command
I:Trying /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 on LUN file /sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/gadget/lun0/file
I:Successfully shared /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 on LUN file /sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/gadget/lun0/file
~ #

Upvote 0
Glad to see this thread isnt dead, when I posted last time it seemed to be that way.

@ kaw202: Will your CWM work if the phone isnt currently functional (please see my post [http://androidforums.com/6216029-post71.html] above first for details)? I would really like to restore this phone to working condition again. I still plan to tinker with Titanium again but this time i'll def have a stock recovery beforehand so I can fix whatever I mess up. What I really would like is flashing a custom ROM later on it later, and then maybe hooking the phone up with a prepaid service.

If anyone else can help then please post. Specifc instructions would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Yes it will but not directly. You will need to install my CWM build. However depending on how bad your phone is force closing you may have to do it from ADB. but once you get it installed back it up with my recovery. This will give you a way back to where you are now incase It takes more then one try to fix. After you have taken the backup zip the whole clockworkmod folder on your sdcard up and upload it somewhere I can get it. Once I have that I will try to fix it and turn it into a stock rom you can flash through recovery.

Also, what carrier are you on.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to think this may not be possible. I didnt include some info in the original post, because about a week ago a new issue occurred that I didnt have originally. Even despite all this, one day about a week ago I rebooted and it just froze up on the AT&T logo. Factory reset and data/dalvik wipe didnt help, issue persists. So that's what I meant when I said that the phone is non-functional.

I dont have a laptop right now but a friend says he will let me borrow his to do this. I dont know if I'll be able to install the Z992's drivers (they seem to only be on the phone, cant find a download for them). Will I need the Android SDK as well? If so then which parts (no sense in DLing the whole thing just to get to one component)? Presumably I'll just need ADB and fastboot. I can still get into recovery as well.

I'm not going to attempt anything just yet, considering that the PC may not be able to make contact with the phone via either ADB or FastBoot. I'll need some clarification on this first.

Once all this is done I can UL it to my Dropbox and post a link.

As far as a custom ROM is concerned, I think what would be optimal (for myself and others) would basically just be a modified stock ROM with all the non-essential apps stripped out (by non-essential I mean any app that isnt absolutely essential to the phone's operation). With a option in the installer to select which ones the user might want. And maybe an option to install the latest (Gapps/Google Apps) package. But maybe you can think of something better.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
is it possible to flash from ftm and does anyone have a flashable stock rom? i dont know how exactly but i flashed a boot animation from jrummy rom toolbox along with a font but the font was to small so i downloaded a lcd density changer and changed it from 160 to 175 and i rebooted and it showed the at&t logo and then a black screen that sticks and doesnt change after two hours i assume its bricked?

Upvote 0
@SteveWHamilton if you can get adb access while it is boot looping here is what I would do.
First if it has shell access follow my instructions to install cwm.
It should already be rooted so just push a recovery.IMG to your sdcard "adb push recovery.img /storage/sdcard0"
Then shart a shell and run "dd if=/storage/sdcard0/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17" it will say transferred blank bytes in blank seconds sorry I don't know how many bytes or how long it will take.
After that pull the battery and power it back on into recovery mode. Then pull a backup and ul it somewhere for me.

Upvote 0
brucedroid if you can find a way to change your LCD density back probably with adb in ether recovery if you flashed cwm or in that black screen just adb pull the build.prop and change the density the adb push it to data/local/tmp. After that start a shell and mount the system rw and copy it from data/local/tmp to /system.
Also it is possible to flash from ftm I think we would need files from zte though.

Upvote 0
I recreated your problem on my phone when its at the black screen plug it into your computer then enter these one at a time with no "
adb.exe pull /system/build.prop C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\build.prop
edit the file with notepad++
change the string "ro.sf.lcd_density=175" to "ro.sf.lcd_density=160" and save the file.
adb.exe push C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\build.prop /data/local/tmp/build.prop
adb.exe shell
"su"
"mount -o remount,rw /system"
"cp /data/local/tmp/build.prop /system/build.prop"
"chmod 644 /system/build.prop"
"rm -r /data/dalvik-cache"
"rm -r /cache/*"
"reboot"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones