• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Avast Anti-Virus Install problem Win7(solved)

PaulS

Android Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2013
This is an FYI for anyone using Avast Anti-Virus(free version or possibly other versions).
I did a clean re-install of Win7 using the freely downloadable win7 ISO from MS for valid product owners,

Windows 7 starter ISO for clean install? Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

I wanted to re-install Avast free version but it kept balking at the install giving a,"Side by Side" error.After loads of research and online fixes,none of which worked,I had a thought.I checked the Avast site for an,"Uninstaller" that completely removes the program and found one,

avast! Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for avast! Removal

Using this and then re-installing cured the problem.

I didn't find any mention of this removal tool in any posts whilst I was looking so hopefully this post will save lots of lost hours if you are reading this from a web search etc.

Note:If you have manually deleted the Avast folder in frustration try re-installing Avast,knowing it may fail,then run the removal tool as it needs the Avast folder to work from and will require letting the program re-boot to Safe-mode.

Also note the,"Revo" uninstaller,that has worked on programs before,could not handle the job.

HTH :)

Reactions: mikedt
So the Win7 "clean reinstall" isn't a clean reinstall, it's just the normal "leave the registry alone" over-install.

Microsoft can't even get English right. Clean reinstall would include at least the user's choice (but preferably by default, unless you knew what you were doing to somehow trap into the choice) of a full format of all drives in the system (or at least the drive Windows is being installed on). This one is just replacing all system files. Whoop-de-do. I think 98FE was the first disk you could do that on. They're moving us forward right into the late 20th century (again).

No reflection on you - that was useful information.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones