• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AVD settings for tablet

SillyPants

Lurker
Dec 13, 2011
Hi, I am new to Android development and am struggling making the transition from desktop development. The coding isn't much of a transition because I've coded in Java before. However, I'm having a few problems I was hoping maybe someone could point me in the right direction on.

I am working on writing my first tablet app. It is a fairly simple, straightforward data entry application. It is, however, a bit tedious in that there is a fair amount of data being entered and the data is a bit unusual in that it requires frequent switching form upper-case to lower-case letters, numbers, and various special characters and must be entered very rapidly as it is a time critical process. In all, there are about 200 controls, consisting of about 100 textboxes, some containing potentially several paragraphs of text and about another 100 various combo-boxes, grouped radio-buttons, checkboxes, etc. I would like to keep the app compressed onto a couple of screens because the user doesn't have time to keep hitting, next, next, next, etc.

The data will be keyed in, validated, the user prompted for an electronic signature, and the data transferred to a central database. If the computer is out of range, it will instead encrypt the data and store it in a local database until it gets back in range and then pull it out, de-crypt it, and transfer it to the central database.

I'm having trouble configuring an AVD to run above 640X480, which is way too low of a resolution. I've tried all the AVDs and even tried manually setting them to a higher resolution, except when I raise the resoultion, they display as locked screens. Also, I'm having trouble getting the intended tablet to run with full keyboard options all at once. That is, all the keys need to be available at all times because the user doesn't have time to switch modes when typing the data in.

On a related note, does anyone know of any free downloadable DBMS software that can run smoothly on a budget Android tablet that has full database level encryption comparable to that avilable in SQL Server 2008 Professional version? I'd really rather not code the encryption myself because the data is sensitive enough to require real encryption. Also, I'm having difficulty locating Android APIs for electronic signtaure.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones