• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Avoiding big brother monitoring internet @ work via wireless tether

nbm400

Apr 30, 2010
St. Louis
So my setup at work is pretty slick... My network internet connection at work is restricted and monitored as is similar in most corporations.

My technique to avoid the proxy is this...

Plug a USB wireless adapter into the PC, Run a virtual machine with the virtual network adapter pointed to the USB wireless adapter. I run wireless tether on the EVO and boom my PC stays in tact on the corporate network, so email and other network activity works and appears normal and is routed thru the corp LAN, but when I want to browse the web I jump in my VM which is routed thru my EVO.

Wireless tether FTW!

Just use Putty and setup a socks proxy via SSH to an outside server. Have firefox use the socks proxy and IE use your default network connection. Has worked for many years for me.

Then your net admin doesn't care.

Attempt to do anything of the sort in our domain and you'll get flagged three different ways.

Then again, I have all of that monitored because I have to; I honestly don't give two shiats what employees do as long as they aren't breaking the law and they get their work done. :)

I only respond because while your suggestion is something technically apt people do at a lot of workplaces, it is not foolproof, and it's relatively easily detectable; it's also grounds to get fired from a lot of employers. Intentionally circumventing any systems for non-work purposes tends to be grounds for dismissal at most mid-to-large businesses nowadays.

Upvote 0
Just use Putty and setup a socks proxy via SSH to an outside server. Have firefox use the socks proxy and IE use your default network connection. Has worked for many years for me.

I did this for awhile at godaddy. Admins couldnt tell because Port 22 has to be open. I just used vnc to connect to home. I quit after awhile. A few people did it also and one got fired for it.

Upvote 0
You sir are the kind of people that keep me employed in network security..

Then you wonder when USB controls get installed on workstations with a draconian policy no letting you plug in anything or when wireless rogue detection is set to actively disassociate clients that pop up on unauthorized APs in your building.

You guys can thank NBM400 when security sticks a boot in that ass..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones