• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Back to Android.

CTM

Nov 22, 2010
ok so after a go with the iPhone and all its glory i decided to come back to the world of android. I havent rooted since the eris and now i got my hands on a thunderbolt that was already rooted running Gingeritis v1.0. Do i flash roms over the same way like nand backup then wipe then flash over and restart or has it changed since i have been out of the loop for a while :thinking:

ok so after a go with the iPhone and all its glory i decided to come back to the world of android. I havent rooted since the eris and now i got my hands on a thunderbolt that was already rooted running Gingeritis v1.0. Do i flash roms over the same way like nand backup then wipe then flash over and restart or has it changed since i have been out of the loop for a while :thinking:

Welcome back Kotter :)

I had very much the same situation as you only I have never owned and Eris. Flashing is the same with the exception of using ROM Manager. I don't know if you used ROM Manager on the Eris or not but it is generally recommended to manually wipe and flash everything by hand on the Bolt.

Note that there are some new radio leaks out that will be required if you want to run the GB ROMs but for all the Froyo ROMs its just like you said, backup, wipe and flash. If your Bolt is already running Gingeritis then its also running the leaked radio and if you flash back to Froyo I believe your data will not be working....

There is a super smart chap named Scotty that frequents this section and he is really good with this stuff. Maybe if we are lucky he will pop in and say "Waz Up!"

GMB

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
waz up! :cool:

you might also look here for a lil more info on radios: http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/355124-radio-question.html

if your last phone was the eris,your prolly a lil more familiar with Amon_Ra recovery than with clockworkmod recovery,but the concept is the same,the menus are just a lil different.

in most cases youre going to make a backup,then wipe data/cache/dalvik cache,flash your rom then reboot. in some casese,like the eris,you may get away without wiping data when doing an "update" of the same rom.

not much more to add to what grandmaster b has said allready :)

welcome back to android... a wise decision,IMO :D

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0

this is the thread you want to use,for sure. there is another radio thread that just lists individual radios. nice if you want/know how to package them up,but its definately easier to use the "allready packed" radios in this thread.

also... these radios list the baseband numbers,so you can look in settings/about phone/baseband to figure out what youre currently running. if you find you are running 1.39.00.0430,that is the leak GB radio... you may want to change it to the mr2 radio(1.39.00.0508) if you want to stay with GB.

you will flash radios in hboot,not in recovery. some directions if you need em are in the sticky http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/353591-how-some-root-terminology.html thread

Upvote 0
Someone might want to mention the GB bricking issues with the old radio

thats why i said this:
also... these radios list the baseband numbers,so you can look in settings/about phone/baseband to figure out what youre currently running. if you find you are running 1.39.00.0430,that is the leak GB radio... you may want to change it to the mr2 radio(1.39.00.0508) if you want to stay with GB.
but i got the impression that hes looking to go back to froyo,so i didnt mention it any further. the radio question thread mentions it,also.
Scotty, quick question...i noticed you didn't mention wiping battery stats. Some say to , some don't. What's your opinion if there is a time to do that?

i never wipe bat stats or rotate settings as part of a "flash a new rom" process. IMO those are really only things that you do if you think there is something wrong-like something doesnt change from portrait to landscape,or your battery gauge/widget sticks at a number for a long time,then moves quickly after that.

wiping batt stats is supposed to make your battery gauge/widget more accurate. youll find alot of different ways to do it,as you mentioned... feel free to try them all and see if any particular one has any affect,lol... most of the things people say you need to do(like multiple charge/discharge cycles) are somewhat inconvenient,and dont seem to matter much on my phone anyway,so the only thing ive ever done is charge to 100%,then wipe battery stats. thats it :)

i also only wipe once,despite what alot of folks reccomend :eek:

Upvote 0
So if I'm running 1.39.00.0430 I need to switch to mr2 to reduce the chance of bricking correct?
correct.

tho there may still be a small chance of bricking with the mr2 radio(baseband 1.39.00.0508) the risk is much smaller than it is with the original leak radio(baseband 1.39.00.0430)

And I think I'm gonna stick with gb for a while unless there's a really good reson not to
well,the safest thing at this point,is to stay with a mr1 froyo based rom with either of the original froyo radios. no one can be 100% sure that either of the leak radios,the leak GB rom,or all roms based on it are 100% safe without more eveidence from brickers running the those things.

it just depends on the risks you are willing to take,and the conclusion youd like to draw after reading the brick threads on xda:
PLEASE READ: Information Gathering: Those who have Bricked and have not - xda-developers
and
[NOTICE] Gingerbread Related Bricking - May 27th 2011 update - xda-developers

as ive said in other threads,i personally feel the risk is minimal,and if i wanted to run a GB based leak rom,id do it. and if i did,id use the mr2 radio,as i feel its prolly safer than the original GB leak radio. but,keep in mind im not an expert just a flashoholic that likes to play with his phone :D

i got my TB to root,rom and have fun with so im not gonna live in fear of what could happen,i pay for insurance for a reason ;)

Upvote 0
Do you run a gb ROM? And ill take a look at those xda threads

i have run all the leak GB roms,but currently im on cm7,wich uses the oldest froyo radio.

this is just now making to an alpha release. past versions have had various issues,wich have been worked out nicely in the last couple versions. it still is not quite perfect,but everything of importance to me(data,gps,bluetooth,camera) is working,and the battery isnt draining anywhere near as fast as it used to.

as an AOSP fanatic,im not at all fond of sense,so this is my rom of choice. im very happy its progressed to the point i can run it daily,instead of a day at a time :D

unless youre a huge sense fan,you might give it a try. its gingerbread,and using a radio that is definately safe. check out the cm7 nightly thread for some more info and feedback

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones