• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backup and Restore New for 2.2

I just got a replacement DX from VZW, and checked the "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore" boxes on my old phone (actually, I had checked them long ago). I activated my new phone, and the only thing that transferred over was my gmail contacts, nothing else. When I went into the android store, it just listed the apps I had paid for. I still have my old phone here, is there anything I can do to have my apps and settings sent to my new phone, or am I screwed? I called VZW, and they were no help, they said I'd have to download everything again.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I just got a replacement DX from VZW, and checked the "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore" boxes on my old phone (actually, I had checked them long ago). I activated my new phone, and the only thing that transferred over was my gmail contacts, nothing else. When I went into the android store, it just listed the apps I had paid for. I still have my old phone here, is there anything I can do to have my apps and settings sent to my new phone, or am I screwed? I called VZW, and they were no help, they said I'd have to download everything again.

Thanks.

I found this thread which might help you out. Did you transfer your sd card from the old phone to the new one?

http://androidforums.com/developer-101/3333-back-up-restore-applications-nearly-automatic.html

Upvote 0
Help needed!:eek: I spent a few hours downloading apps last night and as of this morning my phone is sooooo slow, at times unresponsive and I couldn't even answer an incoming call today (blank, black screen). The problem comes and goes but nevertheless it's annoying :mad: and frankly it's freaking me out. I thought it was some live wallpaper i installed and set so I changed my wallpaper (no more swimming fishies...boohoo :() and I got a little better (may just be my imagination) but I'm fearing the worst so I think I need to back up, wipe the phone clean and restore. I got a little info in the way of instructions how to do it from this thread but since I'm a newbie, and regretably not very tech saavy :thinking:, I need someone to point me to a concise, easy to understand, step-by-step (ok, for the record I went to college...not an idiot entirely but when it comes to this stuff..."uh.duh.waa?":thinking:) instructions on how to safely backup everything, not just the contacts via verizon but the app backup via google, and then wipe the phone clear and then restore everything.

If someone would be so kind as to help me I would give them a kitten or wash their car or pay someone from their city to wash their car or, well nevermind all that I'll just be your best friend (and perhaps start a rapport with you where I will send you endless emails with ?s and ask you for your advice or opinion until I am a master D2 user...what are best friends for, ya know?:D).

Much obliged and thank you in advance, Nyrieland :p

PS. This forum is so much easier to use then droidforums.net. I registered right away. Had to put that out there.

Upvote 0
I read this thread last week and didn't think too much about it since I wasn't planing to wipe my phone anytime soon..... or so I thought.

I am moving this weekend and needed a new phone number for where I will be moving to, I called Verizon and setup a new number. I dialed *228 and programed my phone. Well...... as soon as it restarted I got a screen saying my factory reset was complete and that everything looked just like it did when I got the phone. I was not happy.

Thankfully this option was indeed check marked on my phone before this all happened. Just about 30 secs after the reboot my wallpaper changed back, then my launcher reappeared, then all my icons. I checked the marketplace/my apps section and it was it was downloading all my apps. I was sooo happy. I had to to a couple little things here and there, but otherwise it was back to normal. Really glad that option was checked.

Got a question thou, why did my phone reset after doing a *228 to program a new number?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones