• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bad battery???

Bman123

Feb 27, 2011
So I ended up getting a mytouch 4g from a friend that i work with. He told me the battery is bad and that's the only thing wrong with it. I told him let me play with the phone for a couple days and if it is only the battery I will buy it.

So here is what I observed tonight. Got the phone and it is in a overall 8/10 condition wise. Normal wear and tear on it but never been dropped screen is mint. I got the phone it said it was 9% charged, put my sim card in it and started downloading apps. The 4g worked great I downloaded 3 apps then it just shut off.

I took the back plate off and took the battery out. I sat the battery on a flat table and the middle of the battery has a fat swell in it. If you flick a corner of it the battery will actually spin around in circles numerous times.

I plugged the phone into the charger and in 15 minutes it said the battery was charged 50 % which is obviously wrong. I unplugged it and within 2 minutes it shut off again. I plugged it in and the phone ran fine for 2 hours while plugged into a charger.

Is it safe to say that this phone just has a bad battery? I need to know your opinion guys as this is the make it or break it for me getting this phone. I found a battery and screen protectors on amazon a anker brand battery and pre cut to fit screen protectors for $25 with overnight shipping total.

I have no problem paying the price for the stuff if it will more then likely solve the issues it has. I was currently using a sidekick 4g and that phone was such a piece I sold it locally today on craigslist for $90 just to get rid of it. That phone did whatever it wanted, randomly froze, lagged super tough when browsing online and that was even with the voodoo lag fix.

I am very use to owning HTC phones had a incredible and a thunderbolt and I like sense plus I know this phone has a ton of dev support and is leaps and bounds better then the sidekick I was currently using.

So what do you guys think, is it worth it to order the battery and screen protectors for $25? Do you think it will solve my issues I am having with the phone?

The only reason why my buddy sold it to me was he just got a iphone 4s and he switched carriers so he really has no need to use this phone. Oh forgot to mention if I keep the phone i will have to pay him a whopping $30 for it lol. That is why I want to keep it so bad I just have never dealt with a phone and a bad battery before so I really dont know what I am dealing with, it seems to me the battery is bad since it runs fine non stop when plugged in.

I have the same issue with my battery as well. It's swell up as well.

The phone would work fine if it's plugged in.

First I had the problem is when I had the battery at 100% and suddenly after using it for only 15-30 min the phone rebooted and when it's back on it's only at between 3-5% and it says to plug it in to a power source. Even restarting and taking of the battery it would show the same thing. But when I plug it in and restart, then it would show about 80+%.

I change the battery to amazon third party and never had the same problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones