• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bad filename and zero length

rechmbrs

Lurker
Dec 14, 2013
I have a couple of files which are listed as zero in length and also have weird characters in their filenames. I have tried every way I can think of to delete the files with no success. I have an android 5.0.2 nexus 7 2013 which is not rooted.
I realize that these files are doing no damage but I'd like them gone. Can't rename, ....

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
RONC

You should be able to download an app like Android Terminal Emulator, and manually remove the file while escaping the weird characters:

cd <directory where the funky filename is>
rm <funky filename>

For example, let's say you have a filename (with two spaces and a percent sign in it) like "abc xy % d" in the /sdcard/Download directory you would type this:

cd /sdcard/Download
rm abc\ xy\ \% d

See how I escaped (with the backslash character) the two spaces and the percent sign?

Edit: of course, be careful with what files you do delete--you really should be absolutely sure you don't need them before removing them and experiencing unexpected results.

Cheers and hope that helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones