• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Basic Vanilla Android ROMs?

Shocker_33

Jul 13, 2011
Hi,

I want to start using my Wildfire S again. I see that these days, because of the required updates, the android system with HTC sense on top absolutely kills the phone in terms of performance and storage.

So i want to install the most basic vanilla Android ROM on to my phone. I don't care about upgrading it to Jelly Bean or anything like that. I just want a phone that is able to function in a timely manner without it hassling me that it's low on resources/storage. So i'm looking for a ROM with no skins, that only has the basic of features, nothing flashy.

Does anyone give any guidance as to which ROM will be best for this?

This is a very good basic Gingerbread ROM (WildChild3) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1842771
Everything works as it should and there's no HTC Sense. It was the first ROM I installed on my phone and with Int2Ext4+ and an appropriately formatted sd card (I used a 16GB card) giving me effectively 2GB main memory, the phone is very slick. I also overclocked it from a max of 600MHz to 806MHz using No-Frills CPU control App from the Play store.
Note on formatting the SD Card:
You'll want a 16GB or 32GB card formatted as follows:
Partition 1 - Primary - formatted EXT4 or FAT32 - the bulk of the card except for the space used by the other partitions
Partition2 - Primary - Formatted EXT4 2GB (This MUST be EXT4) - if you have a 32GB card, this can be 4GB if you plan on installing a ton of apps).
Partition 3 - Linux Swap 2GB (no larger)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones