• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery cover falling off...

Motorola will send you a replacement. They are aware of the problem. Basically you send them an e-mail through their website and they will respond with 24 hours.

Mine was giving me the same problem....I sent the e-mail...and they are sending me a 1-time replacement for free. Currently I am using the business card trick and it seems to be working!!

Here is the link:

https://www.motorola.com/feedback.jsp
i fail to see how a new door will fix the problem

Upvote 0
A lot of threads on this already; Motorola is responsive via link mentioned above, originally referred me to their webpage to order a $9.99 cover; I protested, and they are sending me a cover for free. Hoping it will fix it, if not, will try the business card trick. I'd much rather do something reversible than go bending metal personally.

Upvote 0
While the "card" trick may work, it actually forces the door and its bump farther away from the slot that the bump is supposed to "snap" into. IMO, raising the slot (by bending the metal) or replacing the door (with one that has a slightly more raised bump) is actually correcting the problem, whereas the card trick is a workaround.

But if you're more comfortable with the card trick, and you're happy with the results, that's what matters!

Upvote 0
While the "card" trick may work, it actually forces the door and its bump farther away from the slot that the bump is supposed to "snap" into. IMO, raising the slot (by bending the metal) or replacing the door (with one that has a slightly more raised bump) is actually correcting the problem, whereas the card trick is a workaround.

But if you're more comfortable with the card trick, and you're happy with the results, that's what matters!

Ah good point uncle mike...biz card does exacerbate the original problem despite being an effective workaround. Will wait for the replacement cover instead =) thanks for the tip =)

Upvote 0
Motorola will send you a replacement. They are aware of the problem. Basically you send them an e-mail through their website and they will respond with 24 hours.

Mine was giving me the same problem....I sent the e-mail...and they are sending me a 1-time replacement for free. Currently I am using the business card trick and it seems to be working!!

Here is the link:

https://www.motorola.com/feedback.jsp

I sent a notice to motorola (my battery cover not only fell off, but i lost it!) and within 1 week i had a free new cover =D

it seems to connect much better then the old

thank you for the tip!

Upvote 0
update: I received my replacement cover today via fedex, free of charge from motorola by using the link posted above (though they first referred me to their store to buy it, I replied back saying they really should be giving it to me free since it's a manufacturer defect; they replied for me to give them my address and didn't commit to a free one, but hey the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and here the cover is in my hand, free)

anyhow, the manufacture date of my old one was 10/12/09, and the new one that got sent is 11/17/09; the prongs look identical between the two. Two major differences:

1) the black cushion is thicker, and less compressible (the equivalent of a business card trick)
2) the metal rectangle at the top that holds the cover in the phone is slightly more prominent (sticks out more)

the result: new door significantly more secure, takes more force to undo it. Well done motorola, though you should probably have apologized and sent a new door the FIRST time I asked, it's okay...my door is fixed. Good luck everyone, use that link!

Upvote 0
got mine today. my old one is 9-12-09 and my new one is 9-25-09..and they look exactly the same. :/ no noticeable difference. pretty sure they are the same since the new one really isnt that new. kind of pissed.

Got mine as well. Old one 9/21/09, new one 9/25/09 and they are identical. Not sure why they bothered......

Oh well, the business card trick works but I shouldn't have to....

Upvote 0
Well that was stupid.. I put the business card in earlier and it took some work to get the cover back on. I just noticed that the cover now sticks out just a tad, causing a little ridge between it and the upper part of the phone.

Tried to take it off? It wouldn't budge. Nothing I tried was working, so I took a dime to the indentation and.....RIPPPP...Caused a huuuge scratch down the back of the phone. Luckily the cover came loose enough for me to take it off.

Looks like it's time for a replacement cover. D'OH!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones