• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery draining (15 minute screen time)

zebug

Android Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2010
Houston, Texas
Greetings all. So I got my lovely new S4 and it seems to me that the battery isn't doing so well. So I threw on GSam Battery Monitor that someone mentioned in another post and this was the result after a day golfing. Any ideas as to what is going on? When I plug it in the % goes up very fast leading me to believe the battery itself is just poor.

Screenshot_2013-06-16-14-50-00.png

Screenshot_2013-06-16-14-50-16.png

Screenshot_2013-06-16-14-50-04.png

Screenshot_2013-06-16-14-49-45.png

Screenshot_2013-06-16-14-49-27.png

Just the opposite here. Getting about the same battery life per charge with the S4 standard battery as I was on Motorola Droid Bionic with an extended battery. Currently at 1 day, 3.5 hours and have 47% remaining.
I almost have to wonder if the GSam app isn't contributing to your issue. I used it on the Bionic, mostly because the standard moto battery gauge showed battery drain in 10% increments and I wanted something that would count it down 1% at at a time. I always thought that my battery life suffered slightly with it installed and running, but that it was worth it because of the more complete information it provided.

Upvote 0
I have had four smartphones (iPhone 3G, Galaxy S2, iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4) and none of them has had good battery life but they have all broadly been the same. I get a day of light use but with the two Galaxies, I have always carried around a spare battery.

I got the best battery life out of the iPhone 5 but I don't really like it that much so Use it much less than my S4.

Cheap OEM batteries can be had for a fiver on eBay. You could try one of those and see if it helps. If not, at least you have a spare you can carry around with you.

Upvote 0
I was wondering that too marine one, but according to the app itself, it only used 1% of the total battery (though is that like asking a murderer if he did it???)

When I downloaded GSam to the Bionic I noticed there were several comments about the app being a juice hog. You could always go in and disable it and see if there is any improvement. In another thread here, someone with a battery problem took their G4 back to Verizon and Verizon ran a test on the battery. It was found to be defective and was replaced on the spot. Given this is a new device, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a bad batch of batteries.

Upvote 0
OK I think I solved it. I just chose a regular wallpaper for the lock screen rather than the "travel wallpaper"... which I really loved the photos. Every since getting away from that travel wallpaper for the lock screen, my battery life has been superb. Just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone else had issues.... Thanks all

Reactions: Podivin
Upvote 0
OK I think I solved it. I just chose a regular wallpaper for the lock screen rather than the "travel wallpaper"... which I really loved the photos. Every since getting away from that travel wallpaper for the lock screen, my battery life has been superb. Just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone else had issues.... Thanks all
Good, you can still find a better lock screen wallpaper that isn't live.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones