• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery is driving me crazy !!!!!

barryl85

Jul 3, 2012
Larkhall, Scotland
So recently my S3 has decided it does not want all that lovely electricity that I put in it.

Every morning I wake up it has used around 25% battery without being touched, this continues through the day and my phone is literally never off charge.

So heres the story, charged up to 100% last night took it off charge, woke up for work - 77% WTF

Got some screenshots will post up in a minute as I need help with this guys !

8252176276_ab62a47e88_z.jpg
8251106291_f2f9c29386_z.jpg

8252176196_7a71d83f7f_z.jpg
8251106203_263861a2e2_z.jpg

8252176108_e3ac087eb2_z.jpg

See that graph at the top of your screen? Touch that and a larger graph will open up with more info on it. Screenshot that graph and let us take a look.

I know its possible if you live in an area with spotty coverage the battery will get used up by the phone constantly searching for network connection. Do you have your WIFI turned on all night (I see its on in your pic)?

If my phones off the charger all night I might lose 15% but I just leave my phone plugged up while I sleep. It gets me through the day no problem.

Matt

Reactions: barryl85
Upvote 0
See that graph at the top of your screen? Touch that and a larger graph will open up with more info on it. Screenshot that graph and let us take a look.

I know its possible if you live in an area with spotty coverage the battery will get used up by the phone constantly searching for network connection. Do you have your WIFI turned on all night (I see its on in your pic)?

If my phones off the charger all night I might lose 15% but I just leave my phone plugged up while I sleep. It gets me through the day no problem.

Matt

Sorry i've already charged it back up now that im in work - i'll need to do it tomorrow !

I do usually leave my wifi on all night but I have had this phone for ~6 months and this has only just began to happen over the last couple of weeks :mad:

Upvote 0
I'm not an expert but it might be possible that it could be a battery issue then. If its been six months with same battery it could be losing its charge ability although I would think the battery would be good for more than 6 months.

If you can purchase another authentic OEM battery replacement and see if the problem persists with a new battery although watch out for fakes on amazon that say "Samsung" but are really Chinese counterfeits that wont charge all the way.

Turn off mobile data when your at home with Wifi, and in Wifi settings hit advanced and make sure you have your wifi set to stay on "always" even during sleep. The phone uses juice pinging the towers with its network radios. The wifi radios use less power.

Anyways hope you get it figured out.

Matt

Upvote 0
I'm not an expert but it might be possible that it could be a battery issue then. If its been six months with same battery it could be losing its charge ability although I would think the battery would be good for more than 6 months.

If you can purchase another authentic OEM battery replacement and see if the problem persists with a new battery although watch out for fakes on amazon that say "Samsung" but are really Chinese counterfeits that wont charge all the way.

Turn off mobile data when your at home with Wifi, and in Wifi settings hit advanced and make sure you have your wifi set to stay on "always" even during sleep. The phone uses juice pinging the towers with its network radios. The wifi radios use less power.

Anyways hope you get it figured out.

Matt

Cheers Matt i'll give that a try !

Upvote 0
So After a week on 4.1.x stock rom on my S3 I was really getting annoyed about the battery. Given I have hardly any apps (clean install) and only 2 mails accounts, Facebook, and Google+ syncing.

Battery use didn't really show anything although I felt that the OS and standby were pretty high.

What I did? I turned off google now. It was the only thing I can think of that I actively changed since the patch... Instant change. I was dropping 10 - 20% in the first hour to hour and a half of discharge. Now Im back to 2 - 4%... I have a fairly scheduled routine and so far so good....

Upvote 0
yes, google now is a big battery eater.
if you guys don't use google now, you should turn it off.

Barryl85, if you are running 4.1.1 or above, if could be google now. I know that when i go to sleep at 100%, I wake up at around 82-78% (7-8 hours of sleep) with wifi turned on all night. if you have google now on, that seems 100% normal for the battery drain.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones