• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Issue Galaxy S2

Brumcentral

Apr 28, 2011
Hi

Used my phone from 9am this morning, for the stopwatch function as I was using it to time students presentations, by 12 it was almost fully drained and I had to plug it in to recharge.

How can I save the battery drain to make it last longer, I am aware that when using my iphone for this, it would have used only 20% Only I use my phone a lot to watch media on when I am travelling,have managed to get at least 6-8 hours video out of an iphone on long haul flights and a battery time of only 3 hours worries me.

cheers

mine was unplugged at 10am, looking at my battery usage, i've had my wifi on constantly and i've had average signal most of the time.
I've got 74% battery now.
Worrying thing is that my highest usage other than the android bits is that maps was sitting at 15%
Although looking at this battery screen it looks like it doesnt reset each time its unplugged from the charger. There are live wallpapers listed on here i only tried briefly.

Upvote 0
bad quality screenshot

IMAG0398.jpg

Upvote 0
Hey there, how new is the phone?

Some new batteries need to cycle a few times before you'll get the most out of it.
After it has charged, unplug it, then plug it in again, and it will charge for a few more minutes. This increases the charge on new batteries. Do this once after every charge for a few days. you'll find the battery will come good.

Or, you might have a defective battery, which happens sometimes.
Check the apps you have running to make sure u're only using what you need.
turn WIFI, GPS and Bluetooth off and only use them when u need to.
Give the Battery 3 days and if it's still no good, then take it back.

Also possible that the Phone itself has a memory leak in the OS, or a hardware fault.
Try a new battery first, then the next step will be to replace the entire handset.

Reactions: edward90
Upvote 0
Battery issue always pops up whenever new smart-phone is released. I haven't seen any single exception in android phones. Some early units can get defective battery too. As folks learn how to use battery and settings on phone properly, this issue usually subsides although there is some general trend between brands and models. Samsung phone is generally good on power management and battery life.

Reactions: Brumcentral
Upvote 0
Hello, im a bit of a newby to all this, i hope someone can help...?

Ive had the GS2 for just over a week and ive experienced really poor battery life, typical performance is about 5 - 6 hours from fully charged, with very light usage (example: sending approx 5 texts, sending a couple of tweets and aprox 5 mins browsing - usually on wi-fi with a good signal).

Ive turned off live wall papers and experimented with turning off wi-fi and GPS when i dont have them available.

Weather updates every 6 hours twitter every 2 hours and i have push mail set up. Other than this theres not much I can see thats turned on.

I read on an xda forum that toggling flight mode on and off 3 times might help but didnt get any success. I also read there that doing a factory reset can solve the issue, i tried this but again to no avail.

If anyone has any advice id be really grateful as i love this phone but i cant get a days use out of it, even with light usage.

Ive noticed on my battery monitor that 'Android OS' is consistently the highest power user, usually around 40%-50%, screen seems to be around 10%-20%.

Oh also, i fully discharged the battery before re-charging for the first 3 times. I use the wall charger to charger not the USB :)

Any feedback advice would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hello, im a bit of a newby to all this, i hope someone can help...?

Ive had the GS2 for just over a week and ive experienced really poor battery life, typical performance is about 5 - 6 hours from fully charged, with very light usage (example: sending approx 5 texts, sending a couple of tweets and aprox 5 mins browsing - usually on wi-fi with a good signal).

Ive turned off live wall papers and experimented with turning off wi-fi and GPS when i dont have them available.

Weather updates every 6 hours twitter every 2 hours and i have push mail set up. Other than this theres not much I can see thats turned on.

I read on an xda forum that toggling flight mode on and off 3 times might help but didnt get any success. I also read there that doing a factory reset can solve the issue, i tried this but again to no avail.

If anyone has any advice id be really grateful as i love this phone but i cant get a days use out of it, even with light usage.

Ive noticed on my battery monitor that 'Android OS' is consistently the highest power user, usually around 40%-50%, screen seems to be around 10%-20%.

Oh also, i fully discharged the battery before re-charging for the first 3 times. I use the wall charger to charger not the USB :)

Any feedback advice would be much appreciated.
Here's how I extended my battery life:
1. Turn off refresh in all apps like twitter and facebook. You can manually refresh data in an app when you launch it and having an app refresh while you sleep is a waste of resources in my opinion. One exception to this might be gmail

2. Get rid widgets that constantly poll for information. These are widgets that are constantly pulling in information, such as weather, which uses more battery life. Again, you can manually refresh information when you launch an app.

3. If your phone has a Super AMOLED screen use a darker theme. Super AMOLED screens don't use power to draw black pixels.

4. Don't use a task killer or battery monitor.. they're constantly using battery life.

5. Calibrate your battery. Use the phone until it shuts off due to lack of power. While the phone is off charge it to 100%. Repeat these steps a few times. You'll begin to see that the battery life will laster longer each time. I was turning everything on (wifi, bluetooth, GPS, etc.) to get this done faster and found that it became more difficult to intentionally run the battery down each time.

I've done these things on three different phones and always see battery life improve.

Upvote 0
Here's how I extended my battery life:
1. Turn off refresh in all apps like twitter and facebook. You can manually refresh data in an app when you launch it and having an app refresh while you sleep is a waste of resources in my opinion. One exception to this might be gmail

2. Get rid widgets that constantly poll for information. These are widgets that are constantly pulling in information, such as weather, which uses more battery life. Again, you can manually refresh information when you launch an app.

3. If your phone has a Super AMOLED screen use a darker theme. Super AMOLED screens don't use power to draw black pixels.

4. Don't use a task killer or battery monitor.. they're constantly using battery life.

5. Calibrate your battery. Use the phone until it shuts off due to lack of power. While the phone is off charge it to 100%. Repeat these steps a few times. You'll begin to see that the battery life will laster longer each time. I was turning everything on (wifi, bluetooth, GPS, etc.) to get this done faster and found that it became more difficult to intentionally run the battery down each time.

I've done these things on three different phones and always see battery life improve.

On a phone of this standard/pricepoint I find it sad that so much functionality has to be sacrificed for the sake of battery life.
Disabling a lot of what makes Android great is not an ideal solution.

Upvote 0
In the design, the battery was sacrificed for external aesthetics.
The Lithium batteries in these devices have shorter lives if left to completely discharge. They were meant to be charged constantly and not left to go flat.

Sometimes it's possible to get a dodgy battery. If power is a problem, the battery can be replaced for a larger one with greater capacity. The phone will be 4mm thicker..

Reactions: cmcole101
Upvote 0
On a phone of this standard/pricepoint I find it sad that so much functionality has to be sacrificed for the sake of battery life.
Disabling a lot of what makes Android great is not an ideal solution.

well, tbh, Android has more going on in the background versus other mobile OS'es. i don't think you need to disable everything. frequency of pushing/pulling data does need to be lessened. some stuff is just unnecessary. what stuff, exactly, is different from user to user.

i no longer have a fb account. i have weather set to refresh every hour. and i have my twitter account set up to send me a text when someone replies or sends me a direct message so i don't need that to refresh either. and of course i have my google stuff syncing.

i get more than a day on one charge on my Evo :)
SGS2 will be a breath of fresh air regarding battery life for me. i expect to get 2 days on a single charge.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys,

My battery dropped 85% overnight, and I'm quite alarmed by that. The weird part is that during the first days I had the phone, I had a live wallpaper and loads of widgets on my homescreen and the battery was doing fine. I removed most oft he widgets yesterday and also put in a dark still wallpaper - yet the battery seems to have taken a major hit.

I checked the battery usage and it says 81% is Android OS usage, while the other numbers are all below 5%.

The only widgets I have running at the moment are ministocks (I have 5 ministock widgets on the homescreen), the weather and a clock. Email is running as well, Wifi is on, 3G is off.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Hey Guys,

My battery dropped 85% overnight, and I'm quite alarmed by that. The weird part is that during the first days I had the phone, I had a live wallpaper and loads of widgets on my homescreen and the battery was doing fine. I removed most oft he widgets yesterday and also put in a dark still wallpaper - yet the battery seems to have taken a major hit.

I checked the battery usage and it says 81% is Android OS usage, while the other numbers are all below 5%.

The only widgets I have running at the moment are ministocks (I have 5 ministock widgets on the homescreen), the weather and a clock. Email is running as well, Wifi is on, 3G is off.

Any ideas?
Have you updated the firmware yet? The latest update fixes the bug that sees Android OS using so much battery.

Reactions: Pogue Mahone
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones