• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life - The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Does your phone drop 10% quickly in the morning after a full night of charging?

• Yes

Votes: 436 79.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 74 13.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 40 7.3%

• Total voters
I know people are saying its a 10% drop, but whether I use my stock 1500ma battery or the 3000ma chinese battery, it seems to sink hard to around 83% then level off. Just throwing that out there. When I put it back on the charger when its over 83%, it 'appears' to charge up quickly but taking it off the charger it seems to slip quickly back down like sand in a sieve till it reaches 83% and then its normal. Annoying.

Upvote 0
I'm rooted but I've noticed an increase in battery life as well. Before I couldn't get to 10 hours and now I hit 12 hours all the time. Yesterday I got to 20 hours (and believe me, I used my phone). I'm usually around 30% without signal. Running the HTC kernel and the latest Sprint OTA, no tricks/tips being used to save battery life other than that I use wifi whenever I can.

Upvote 0
I know people are saying its a 10% drop, but whether I use my stock 1500ma battery or the 3000ma chinese battery, it seems to sink hard to around 83% then level off. Just throwing that out there. When I put it back on the charger when its over 83%, it 'appears' to charge up quickly but taking it off the charger it seems to slip quickly back down like sand in a sieve till it reaches 83% and then its normal. Annoying.

I think your about right, I think at about 86-80% it begins to level off at an acceptable rate. Makes me feel like I'm only charging my battery to 90% after a whole night

Upvote 0
Don't know how many times we have to repeat this in this dang forum. Unplug the phone when the the LED light turns green and you won't experience that 10% drop. This has been posted for the 100th time! If your phone has been sitting on the charger over night, the battery will drop to a certain level before it will charge again. You CANNOT OVERCHARGE LITHIUM ION BATTERIES THAT'S WHY HTC SET THE PHONE UP THIS WAY.

Upvote 0
Reactions: EVU
Upvote 0
For the first time in the week I had this phone I'm seeing great battery life on my Evo. I made a few tweak in my task killer the other day, after fully charging my Evo and leaving it on my charger the whole night, I took it off around 9:15am and it being around 3:35pm now with moderate use i still have 70% left when usually it would be around 40. And no I didn't take it off the charger right when the LED turned green

Upvote 0
For the first time in the week I had this phone I'm seeing great battery life on my Evo. I made a few tweak in my task killer the other day, after fully charging my Evo and leaving it on my charger the whole night, I took it off around 9:15am and it being around 3:35pm now with moderate use i still have 70% left when usually it would be around 40. And no I didn't take it off the charger right when the LED turned green

Running a task killer is one of the most ******ed things you can do with an EVO. Wasting card space first and foremost. In my opinion, you have horrible battery life. The EVO should drain at 1% an hour. I would be sitting at around 86% after moderate use and my phone being unplugged for 6 hours. Move on because your task killer is killing your battery juice. An app CANNOT save you battery life for the 100th time.

Upvote 0
Running a task killer is one of the most ******ed things you can do with an EVO. Wasting card space first and foremost. In my opinion, you have horrible battery life. The EVO should drain at 1% an hour. I would be sitting at around 86% after moderate use and my phone being unplugged for 6 hours. Move on because your task killer is killing your battery juice. An app CANNOT save you battery life for the 100th time.

Trust me, I've done my research on the pros and cons of task killers, and read numerous post with people almost scientifically proving that task killers effect your device in negative way. All I know is that when I made my tweaks within my ATK app is when I actually noticed the improved battery life (for those wondering, I set my task killer to aggressive and had it kills apps that I never used or perfer to to kill after use. Stuff like the browser, messaging, voicemail, email etc I always chose to ignore).

I have tinkered around with apps in the market, one of which I got initally was Angry Birds, after finally getting around to beating the levels it had in the Beta version I went ahead and deleted, I THINK I deleted it a little before I made the tweaks in ATK... I cannot be certain though. But who knows... it could have been this app causing an issue. Whatever the case is my battery life is much to my liking now.

And Slick, I may have been being modest when I said I was using my Evo moderately, I forgot that I was using my Evo's mp3 in the car while I was driving around town today, played quite a few games as well. I'd say it was more so moderate-high if anything. Maybe I will remove that ATK for a while and see if my battery improves at all.

Oh yea, I'm over 9 hours in and still have 53% life... hasn't moved from 53% in about 40 mins

Upvote 0
Trust me, I've done my research on the pros and cons of task killers, and read numerous post with people almost scientifically proving that task killers effect your device in negative way. All I know is that when I made my tweaks within my ATK app is when I actually noticed the improved battery life (for those wondering, I set my task killer to aggressive and had it kills apps that I never used or perfer to to kill after use. Stuff like the browser, messaging, voicemail, email etc I always chose to ignore).

I have tinkered around with apps in the market, one of which I got initally was Angry Birds, after finally getting around to beating the levels it had in the Beta version I went ahead and deleted, I THINK I deleted it a little before I made the tweaks in ATK... I cannot be certain though. But who knows... it could have been this app causing an issue. Whatever the case is my battery life is much to my liking now.

And Slick, I may have been being modest when I said I was using my Evo moderately, I forgot that I was using my Evo's mp3 in the car while I was driving around town today, played quite a few games as well. I'd say it was more so moderate-high if anything. Maybe I will remove that ATK for a while and see if my battery improves at all.

Oh yea, I'm over 9 hours in and still have 53% life... hasn't moved from 53% in about 40 mins

Dude, playing music doesn't drain the battery hardly at all......that's super light usage in terms of battery life.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have only had my EVO for 2 weeks now, so I am just getting used to its temperament regarding battery life. I also am using BatteryMinder and like the reporting of battery life in hours & minutes - though I still am not ready to say that I trust this app yet.

I am noticing something counter-intuitive. I always charge my phone overnight. When I unplug it at 100% charged, BatteryMinder would report around 6 - 8 hours of life using the new "momentary" setting. I'd charge my phone multiple times per day when I had a chance to, just to keep the battery as full as possible.

Last night, I charged my phone when I got home from work. Around 9pm last night it was 100% charged. I wanted to download some Slacker Radio offline content and other things, so I turned on WIFI and started the downloads. I fell asleep with the WIFI on and the phone unplugged. I woke up assuming I'd find a dead phone. To my surprise, BatteryMinder reports my battery is at 81% and says I have almost 17 hours of life left!

I have background sync turned on the phone for Google, Twitter, Facebook, etc. I also check 2 IMAP accounts and 1 Exchange account every 2 hours on off hours (10pm - 6am).

My Sprint signal is good here, usually a full signal strength gauge.

I am wondering if, with the amount of data this phone is capable of using in the background, is WIFI just much more efficient than 3G for data? I'd always assumed you should turn off as many transmitting features as possible if you want to preserve battery life. Maybe though, that is too simplistic? Maybe that overlooks things like WIFI being more efficient and therefore uses less battery?

Just curious what others are seeing in this regard. I don't have WIFI at work that is open to me, but at home, this sure seems to help with the battery life.

Upvote 0
it's actually well known that if you have good wifi signal, you want to use wifi for data, rather than 3G. It is quite the battery saver. If you have wifi at home, have your phone switch automatically to your home network when you are in range. And disable the wifi sleep setting (should be off by default).

Upvote 0
Thanks - I searched this forum for "wifi battery life" before I posted and didn't see anything, but appreciate your confirmation on this.

When you say to have the phone switch automatically, are you saying just leave wifi on all the time? I know that when it finds my SSID it will automatically connect. I just assumed that leaving WIFI on all the time, when I know there isn't WIFI available would actually worsen the battery life as the phone constants scans for available networks.

I've been manually turning it on and off when I know I am in range. Is that not a good strategy?

What about bluetooth? I've also been manually turning bluetooth on and off on my way to the car. Does that significantly hurt battery life to keep bluetooth on the entire day, even when I know that I won't use it?

Thanks for your information.

it's actually well known that if you have good wifi signal, you want to use wifi for data, rather than 3G. It is quite the battery saver. If you have wifi at home, have your phone switch automatically to your home network when you are in range. And disable the wifi sleep setting (should be off by default).

Upvote 0
...I just assumed that leaving WIFI on all the time, when I know there isn't WIFI available would actually worsen the battery life as the phone constants scans for available networks.
I've been manually turning it on and off when I know I am in range. Is that not a good strategy?

I also assumed this and I have been doing the same thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones