• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery problems, quirks and issues: Read first.

Just got a Moment last Thursday, and am having major issues with the battery. I am running a custom ROM, the Vampire one, sorry can't remember the name or version at the moment. I have everything turned off that I don't need, wifi, bt, gps, and I have nothing syncing in the background. An example of what's going on: Today I pulled my phone off the charger @ 9:45am. I go into work, send some txts, check some things on the web. I leave work around 12:45, battery still showing full green, come home, make one call on the phone (less than a 5 minute call), then do not touch the phone till just awhile ago, about 3:00pm, and the battery was dead, phone had shut off. I have no clue what's going on, but unless I have the phone on charge all the time, I cannot keep the battery up. I am going to get Spare Parts and see what may be draining it, but any other ideas? I have read all of the battery guides, etc. I have not installed a task killer because I don't think it is needed for Android, and others get along great without one. Thanks!

Jive

Upvote 0
As an update, I installed the Overclock Widget from the marketplace, and it may have solved my problems. Full charge @ 9:00am, now it is 3:30pm, and I still show 80% battery. What this app does is lower the CPU speed down whenever the screen is off. I am thinking somewhere I have have an app that is still running in the background, and maybe this at least slowed the CPU down.

Jive

Upvote 0
After being on charger all night, i took my phone off this morning at 9AM, at 10AM with no use, i went to open Opera Mini and battery went to yellow then red and said connect to charger. I took to sprint and they had no batteries but the lady there gave the batt out of her phone.

Hopefully mine works ok now

If not.......EVO here i come!

Upvote 0
As an update, I installed the Overclock Widget from the marketplace, and it may have solved my problems. Full charge @ 9:00am, now it is 3:30pm, and I still show 80% battery. What this app does is lower the CPU speed down whenever the screen is off. I am thinking somewhere I have have an app that is still running in the background, and maybe this at least slowed the CPU down.

Jive

I noticed that the "Use wireless networks" location setting in CL14 prevents the phone from going to sleep when the screen is off. This can be verified through the Spare Parts app. I haven't had a chance to upgrade to 2.1 yet, but could you see if that helps in lieu of underclocking?

When that setting is enabled, my phone will drain in 10-12 hours. This weekend I ran 41 hours before charging at the yellow level, with bluetooth, gmail sync, imap hourly poll, gps enabled (but never used), 80 minutes of talk or so, and a couple hours of web via opera mini.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I don't know if this is the right forum for this but...

I have a HTC Desire which I have been using for a few months now with no problems. Today, for the first time, I used it in the car as a Sat Nav. It worked okay but because of my cheap car charger not being able to supply enough current it eventually went flat and shut down.

After only about ten minutes after it shut down, I got home and put it on the charger (official HTC mains charger with official lead). It has been on the charger for about an hour now and it still won't turn on. No lights are shown on the phone (led charge light).

Am I doing something wrong, or is the battery knackered?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Taf.

Upvote 0
One thing I do that has dramatically improved my battery life is charging via USB @ 0.5A. I actually use a Sony PS3 controller charger that has 2 usb ports that plug into the wall I found on clearance at Walmart.

My battery now lasts at least 36hrs. I'm mainly a talker for ~1-2hrs daily mixed with data and some GPS.

Not sure if anyone has stated this but Li-Ion have a usable range of 3-4.2v. 3.7v is nominal. The phone should prevent the battery going below the 2.7-3v or above 4.2v to prevent damage to cells.

@tafka - If you have a DVM you can measure the voltage on the battery terminals. Should be ~2.7-4.2v if its below 2.7 then may be the phone preventing it to charge for safety reasons.

Upvote 0
@tafka - If you have a DVM you can measure the voltage on the battery terminals. Should be ~2.7-4.2v if its below 2.7 then may be the phone preventing it to charge for safety reasons.

Thanks for the reply. I should have posted, I got the phone working again.

I plugged it into the charger with the battery out, then held the power button in, then put the battery in. That obviously gave it enough of a power spike to start the charging process. It has been fine ever since.

I guess part of the problem is that the phone takes *so long* to shut down. That's a bit of a problem if the battery is nearly flat.

Interesting idea about the ps3 charger though, I might give that a go.

I have now bought a cheap car charger from Tesco that seems to *just about* charge the phone when GPS/Data transmission is running.

Upvote 0
I have a question regarding the trickle charger (using a computer usb port)...I usually wait until the phone actually dies to charge it. I always use a computer usb port to charge because I'm usually around one, even at work.

My question is, since it's a trickle charge can I leave it plugged in all the time without affecting the battery conditioning? It is my understanding that with batteries like these (this might be the case with old batteries) it's not good to have them plugged in all the time with the wall charger because it's continuously charging "full force".

Thank you

Upvote 0
so sorry if im lost but im new to these things. i just got my moment 2 weeks ago. battery is killing me you guys know the deal. about 5 hours and right off the unplug it goes to 80 then down to 50 within 15 mins. im trying to condition it right now. but im liking this kernal? idea? what exactly does that mean and what does it do.? thanks

Upvote 0
Why is it when these "gotta have it" phones hit the market, people are SOOO suprised when it eats the battery. I had the TREO 800W once. Had it 27 days. Took it back. Seemed it just love to eat the battery in 18 hours. Got an extened one about 1 week of ownership. Not much better. Got about 6 hours more use. Oh well, took it back and got the755P treo instead. So, now, using the moment. I think the person who tried to be funny "you only have enough power to use it for a "moment"" was right on. Everyone will post graphs, make desk top tech diag comments and still, after 20 some "suggestions", it comes down to one thing. The phones are battery hogs people. No app, no update, nothing will give you nothing more then hype. I can run through the same morning ritual of turning off everything that will not keep the phone from functioning for its INTENDED purpose of making calls and I still have to start looking for a outlet in about 12 hours if traveling around town, 18 if I'm at home. God forbid I want to download and install then run anything. Hell, it doesn't even make calls well. Big delay dialing to connection. Sometimes, I find myself looking at the phone for 30 seconds or more seeing if I have a darn signal. So, 2 of my kids wanted updates. Guess what phone they DIDN"T get. :mad:

Upvote 0
I have owned the Moment for seven months.

The bottom line: the phone blows. Running Android 1.5 the phone might last for 4 to 6 hours without any significant use. This wasted down to 3 hours after about 6 months of owning the phone. I upgraded to Android 2.1 yesterday, and I have to say: little has changed.

The phone is set with wifi off, etc., and the battery dies a miserable death without any use of the phone -- almost instantly. I am a big Samsung booster -- own a laptop and two laser printers made by them. But the moment is a joke -- it's untenable for just about any user around. Unless you want to have your mobile phone plugged into a wall socket 24 hours a day, you should ditch it if you can. I am going to imminently.

The phone is just not worth the aggravation . . . .

Upvote 0
Can you explain how to do this?

It's not worth it. Having ATK running all the time and killing applications on a schedule, uses up the power that you save by killing the applications. If you're going to use ATK or any other app killer, set it to kill itself and use it manually after a restart and shut down those programs that don't automatically restart themselves.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones