• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery saving tips anyone?

ditto on scamp's response.
wifi seems to eat through the battery like...well...choose your own analogy.

also, this is not scientific, but i believe that many of the apps from the market require resources that run in the background. before loading on apps, i think my battery life was better.

Power Management app is on the right track and will let you export data to analyze. With PM you may be able to see which apps are draining you bat.

Also, if you have money to burn, you can always buy the extended life battery, which adds substantial mah, for like $50.

Upvote 0
Few things to help you manage your phone.

Anycut - I have a shortcut to battery details so I can see how the battery is doing.

Toggle - lets you turn different setting of and on from the same interface.

Locale - Can manage settings based on time, day of week, location, and more.

I'd download Locale, if you have a pretty regular schedule, you can decide what conditions you want set at certain times or even certain locations.

My locale default is to have Wifi and GPS off, but when I'm at home, the Wifi turns on so I can connect locally. Very handy like that.

In the settings menu there's a synchronization setting. it keeps gmail, contacts, and calendar up to date back and forth between the web and your phone. I have sync for my contacts disabled, as I don't really need them to be synchronized all the time. I may add calendar and do an manual sync at some point. I've noticed that if you're in the gmail app, and press menu there's a button to let you manually sync. If you don't want email showing up all the time, you could disable the auto-sync and just use that manual sync whenever you need to. Contacts and Calendar, unfortunately, do not have manual sync buttons (at least I haven't found them).

Battery hogs:
GPS
3G
Bluetooth
WiFi
Auto-sync
Screen brightness/duration

Also, I turn my phone off once a day, usually when I'm eating or something. I leave it off for at least 5 minutes. I've noticed that when I turn the phone back on, I get some of my battery life back. Like it'll say it's at 15% but if I turn the phone off and leave it for 5-20 minutes, when I turn it back on the battery might be back up to 18%, 20%, or even 25%
This is also a good way to clear out all those apps working in the background.

After all this, I'm usually able to go from 5am to 10pm without having to charge my phone. When I plug it in at bedtime, it's usually in the yellow, sometimes in the red. Since I sit in front of a computer for 8 hours a day, I do most of my surfing there, and I rarely get more than one phonecall a day.

There's also a battery monitor app that just got added to the market the other day, haven't used it, but it could be something else you want.

Upvote 0
Ever since i got the update to rc30 i don't even have issues with my battery life, i spend an entire day at work, and a few hours after doing the mommy thing by the time i'm home i am left with less than fifteen percent but that's after hella hours of being away from home and not having to charge it with the notebook. Seriously 12 hours or more of battery life and i do alot with my android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones