• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Temperature - What is "Normal Maximum"

rozel

Oct 2, 2011
UK
OK had ICS since 18th April here in the UK following the Sim-Free updates being made available. By and large I have not had too many problems but increasingly I am becoming alarmed by the high temperature my device is achieving making it feel very hot in my hand.

I like steaming videos a lot and it is this that is making my device hot.

Streaming videos from the net and also SkyGo is making my battery go up to 54 degrees C which not only seems hot but feels hot too! At around this temperature I close what I am viewing to allow it to cool down.

I do not have any issues charging-wise - apart from it takes an eternity to charge via USB but just when I stream videos. I do not play games and in normal use (without streaming) including internet use the device doesn't get hot at all.

Could people comment please on how hot their SGS2's get when streaming - over periods of 30 mins to say 90 mins at a time.

What is the regarded "Maximum Temperature" before which it is desirable to shut down.

TIA

Thanks guys but this doesn't help me. I said I do not play games - I am merely streaming videos. Ambient temperature around 20 degrees C so no problem there and I mentioned I do not have any charging issues.

The sort of responses above seem common place to a temperature query but mine is quite specific and I want to know what the regarded Maximum Temp should be over which you could run into hardware issues.

Someobody else?

Upvote 0
Thanks. I tend to use the Stock Browser and/or Chrome Beta. It doesn't matter which although I sometimes have problems with Chrome because it says I haven't got Flash installed or I haven't got the require version to use this site properly. I have flash installed so that is why Chrome Beta is still a Beta? So I tend to default to stock. It has a few quirks since upgrading to ICS but I am getting used to them.

Today I was streaming a video from a site using the Stock browser - was doing so for over 40 mins and it reached 48c. Hopefully this is not a biggy but before going to ICS whilst it did get warm it didn't get hot, but I wasn't monitoring the temperature then.

BTW - maybe you should merge this thread with the other Temperature thread as I seemed to have overlooked that one when I started this thread - sorry about that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones