• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Before I do anything rash...

scruloose

Lurker
Aug 28, 2011
Okay, so I'm looking at rooting my HTC Desire. First time, starting from the branded Android version that came installed on the phone.

Being a cautious sort, here's where I stand:

I've read the Desire rooting FAQ and the guide to rooting with unrEVOked.

I've downloaded RUU_Bravo_Froyo_TELUS_WWE_2.25.661.2_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_151557_signed.exe and OTA_Bravo_Froyo_TELUS_WWE_2.25.661.2-1.29.661.1_R_release_Pf7sjzjrgcmpsve12.zip from shipped-roms.com and checked the md5sums.

My phone is from Telus, running their branded Android, and the version numbers are:

(from Hboot)
RADIO-5.11.05.27

(from Settings -> Software Info)
Build number
2.25.661.2 CL262967 release-keys

So it looks like I have the right RUU to recover if anything goes horribly wrong (or if I just need to return the phone to factory condition to get it serviced for some reason), right? Should I worry about the fact that the RUU says Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27 and my Hboot info doesn't have the 32.49.00.32U part of that? Is there any way to test the RUU to know for sure that it'll install if I need to?

Also, am I right in thinking that I don't need a goldcard in order to restore with the RUU, or is there some reason I should make one? And I see that unrEVOked will replace the default recovery with ClockworkMod Recovery... if I have to go back to the RUU, will that revert the default recovery as well, or is there a separate procedure for that?

And then if rooting succeeds I can simply boot into my new ClockworkMod recovery and make a "Nandroid" backup before I flash any roms... so if the flash fails I can restore the whole system from that, and it'll still be rooted and have ClockworkMod Recovery on it. Unless I've misunderstood. ;)

Anyway, I think that should be everything I need to verify before I do the rooting. I'll save my questions about partitioning the SD card for App2SD+ and how to choose a ROM for another post. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Thanks for the helpful replies!

The OTA is uselss. delete that to avoid confusion. You dont need a goldcard to run the telus RUU, but if you want to run another, you need it.

Oh, of course. Because the RUU is already the version that the OTA upgrades you to.

Okay. Just to make sure I'm not missing something here:

1. I can root w/ no goldcard.
2. I can flash custom ROMs (ie anything I find at the xda-developers forum) w/ no goldcard.
3. I can restore to "out-of-the-box" condition by flashing the Telus RUU -- w/ no goldcard.
4. The only time I would actually need a goldcard is if I want to flash a non-Telus "official" RUU (such as the HTC WWE RUU or other from shipped-roms.com).

Right?

And if I'm right about all of that, is there any reason why I would want to flash a non-Telus official shipped RUU instead of say, the pre-rooted stock ROM from xda-developers?

Nandroid befora flashing anything
Definitely.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones