• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best alternative messaging apps?

SMS Enhancer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS56ZW5rdW4uc21zZW5oYW5jZXIiXQ..

Does the one big thing missing from the stock app - pop-ups. The ICS messaging app looks good and does everything I need now. Used Go SMS for around a year before this.

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. This a great enhancement to the default app. I've tried a lot of third party apps and they all worked fine but when I got the Galaxy Nexus I didn't feel the need for anything else but the stock app.

This has a great feature, in that when a message is received and your screen is locked, you don't have to unlock it and then open the messaging app. Send off a quick reply and it locks itself.

Upvote 0
I'm of the opinion, that with Google Voice, you get so much more than you pay for. How is what they offer, lousy?

For a mega conglomerate like Google, google voice is lacking. Slow sms transmission on both ends and sometimes even no transmission, no mms, general glitchy app, poor app ui, I mean seriously I love android but Google does neglect some of their own apps... When it works it works but when it doesnt...

Upvote 0
Are you kidding me? You get a free phone number that allows you to make free phone calls to anywhere in the US (from any landline in your same area code or any computer anywhere), free texting from any computer and the ability to receive calls to your GV# at any number you choose.

All for free.

Selective voicemail messages depending on the caller, call blocking depending on the number, free international incoming calls (GV to GV). That's pretty handy when my wife travels to Japan.

When I change carriers I never have to worry about transferring my number to a new carrier or notifying my contacts about a new number. I just tell GV where I want my phone number to ring.

I even have a widget on my website that allows someone to enter their phone number and click "Call" and from anywhere in the US it connects them to me, at whatever phone I happen to be using at the time, without any charges to either party.

And I'm just scratching the surface when it comes to options.

And it's free.

But you think it's "lame"?

Upvote 0
Are you kidding me? You get a free phone number that allows you to make free phone calls to anywhere in the US (from any landline in your same area code or any computer anywhere), free texting from any computer and the ability to receive calls to your GV# at any number you choose.

All for free.

Selective voicemail messages depending on the caller, call blocking depending on the number, free international incoming calls (GV to GV). That's pretty handy when my wife travels to Japan.

When I change carriers I never have to worry about transferring my number to a new carrier or notifying my contacts about a new number. I just tell GV where I want my phone number to ring.

I even have a widget on my website that allows someone to enter their phone number and click "Call" and from anywhere in the US it connects them to me, at whatever phone I happen to be using at the time, without any charges to either party.

And I'm just scratching the surface when it comes to options.

And it's free.

But you think it's "lame"?

All the features you just mentioned can be captured by many many 3rd party apps in the store, you do know that right...

And I noticed you mentioned free more than once, does free validate the postponement of progression and innovation? Hell, I get free mobile to mobile from Vzw. Riddle me that, because its almost as if you went to the store and copy/paste the description. GV is Google's answer to BBM and Imessage, that doesnt make it a saving grace and a solution to communicates.

I wish Google was as enthused about GV as you are because if they were GV would be a 5 star app, but its not, and thats my point. Therefore, if you have no other honorably mention-able apps I see no progression to a solution here, I only see this getting more hostile.

Thank you

Upvote 0
For a mega conglomerate like Google, google voice is lacking. Slow sms transmission on both ends and sometimes even no transmission, no mms, general glitchy app, poor app ui, I mean seriously I love android but Google does neglect some of their own apps... When it works it works but when it doesnt...

Except the the 'no mms' part, I'm not sure I agree with you.
  • I haven't had any delayed sms transmission on either end (actually, Sprint's sms may be a minute or so late, but google voice's SMS has been fairly quick - reaches either party in less than 30 seconds usually).
  • Gitchy app - hmm - it works just fine on my phone, and I use the extension on my chrome browser too - that works fine too.
  • Poor app UI - well, ok, it is an outdated looking UI - not at par with the Holo theme of Jellybean, but it is a functional UI.

Yes, Google could (and should) give a little more love to this app, but even with the outdated UI, it is pretty neat (given how much the google voice service can do - see AlkiDweller's post) - it is MUCH more than BBM or IMessage simply because of the fact that it gives you a free new number with a LOT of control over that number.

Remember that google voice is not just the app you install on your phone - it has the web piece to it that allows you to control who can call you, when they can call you, gives you call screening capability, gives you free forwarding ability to other phones that can be based on time - aka single number reach, calling any US telephone # from your computer using the GV plugin, receiving/responding to SMS messages from your Email... etc.

Yeah, I like google voice :)

Back to the op though - is Google voice a good alternative messaging app? No (if you ignore all the other features that it brings). In my opinion, the stock messaging app on the Galaxy Nexus is more 'polished' than the google voice app for SMS

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones