• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help best notepad application for the droid

I was out of the country with my phone that had no internet service either cellular or via the hotel. I had an email on my phone that contained a long document I wanted to edit.

Which of the above notepads (or maybe memopads, not sure of the difference between these) would be ideal for this? thanks.

You can select all, and then copy and paste.

I'm not sure if there is a limit to Note Everything note length, but it would allow you to export to the SD card as a text file you could then get on tou your computer.

You can also get Documents2Go: Documents To Go 2.0 Main App v2.003 Application for Android | Productivity

The free app will only let you VIEW docs, but you can purchase an unlock key directly from DataViz to get the full version which allows editing of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files.

Upvote 0
Thanx for the reply...
i just installed melon np..will try this a few days.
And the "Documents2Go" sounds nice, is this "the one" you would recommend for editing word, excel.....?

Well, as far as I know, it is the only option for editing Office docs on Android. DataViz are a pretty good software company. They've been selling Docs2Go for years, I remember it was out for the Palm OS for a long time.

I haven't used it much yet, but I like having it just in case.

There is also gDocs which lets you edit Google Docs, of course you would need internet access for syncing them. I'm pretty sure it does not export.

Upvote 0
well i am a lurker on this thread. i'm trying out Note Everything and will buy the pro version if I find I need the extended feature. Evernote looks promising but I also don't like the idea of needing access to the web to get to my stuff. Seems like the app would be slower in areas where the signal isn't great. I would use this for sure at the grocery store and my service there is usually pretty questionable. thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
I have to admit my disappointment with Note Everything. I came from Palm land where the memo was a cool thing, easy to use. This NE isn't. It's sort of clunky, hard to even see the cursor when you go to add something, harder still to select where you want to enter things...and right, I haven't found an easy way to move things around either. Time for something else.

Upvote 0
I noticed that you used to have a Palm - boy do I miss mine (I had a Treo). I loved the way it synced and you could enter stuff on your laptop easily and then sync it to the Palm. Anyway - what other apps would you recommend, you being an ex-Palm user? As far as notepad/memo or well, really anything?
Thank you

Upvote 0
I'm a former Palm user too and I've found the Droid to be a huge disappointment. Palm had features and usability a decade ago which Droid doesn't even have.

I've adopted Color Notepad as my notepad application. I like the ability to color a note to easily and instantly create visually recognizable categories of notes. I like that it doesn't have to sync to any online account. Color Notepad is easy to use and has some nice basic features (reminders) over and above just making basic notes. It supports copy and paste from other applications.

I've used "Documents To Go" on the Palm for many, many years. The primary drawback is that it doesn't support OpenOffice format files.

Upvote 0
I've read this thread with great interest because I, like the member who started it, am looking for a simple notepad. And I really do mean simple. People seem to be judging notepads as better by the number of features they have and the things they can do, but I'm trying to find a notepad that DOESN'T have lots of features! One that is simply a single page of text that can be written to and saved, and no more features whatsoever! I'm not even fussed about the ability to open a second or third "note", just one would be fine. The reason for this is that I want a page that I can open with a single click, add to or read and then save on closing. Simple as that. Can anybody please recommend anything?

Upvote 0
Aidan, I like Color Notepad for exactly that reason, it does *not* have a lot of features. It's simple, basic and easy to use. The few features it has enhance it's functionality without any complexity. But if you really want something that will only give you a single page to type a little to yourself, I'd think I could whip up such an application fairly quickly!

Upvote 0
The reason for this is that I want a page that I can open with a single click, add to or read and then save on closing. Simple as that. Can anybody please recommend anything?

With NoteEverything you can create a shortcut on the homescreen that will launch a note. So, you can create a new note in NE, then create a shortcut to it on the home screen. any time you want to add to it, just tap the shortcut to open your note, and add your text.

If you spring for the full version, you get the added benefit of automatic backups of your notes to your sd card.

Upvote 0
With NoteEverything you can create a shortcut on the homescreen that will launch a note..

Love it! Of course it's chokka with features I neither need nor want (paint, voice, barcode, send, etc) but I can ignore all that and use just typed notes. And the ability to have shortcuts for individual notes is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks indeed.

I've paid for the upgrade, and the payment has gone through. But when I try to download it the download starts but then almost immediately stops. This happens time and time again. It's also happening with another upgrade I've purchased as well. Any thoughts as to what might be causing that, anyone?

Upvote 0
Love it! Of course it's chokka with features I neither need nor want (paint, voice, barcode, send, etc) but I can ignore all that and use just typed notes. And the ability to have shortcuts for individual notes is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks indeed.

I've paid for the upgrade, and the payment has gone through. But when I try to download it the download starts but then almost immediately stops. This happens time and time again. It's also happening with another upgrade I've purchased as well. Any thoughts as to what might be causing that, anyone?

As I recall when i bought the unlock for the full version I had a bit of trouble waiting for everything to go through Google's cart thingy. I waited a little while and tried again, and it eventually worked.

You can contact the dev if you need help. He is very responsive (or was when I contacted him long ago).

SoftXPerience | Note Everything

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones