• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Best way to improve the experience on a galaxy s5

Hello all.

So i went out and got a new S5 a few days ago. I figured with snapdragon 835 being released soon there was no need to get something high end right now as it would just be a waste of $$$.

The phone specs themselves are more then enough but needless to say i've now rediscovered why people complain so much about touchwiz, thus i want to fix it before i make it my daily driver.

Problem is the last time i performed any sort of serious tweaking on a droid phone must have been about 4 years ago on an s3, i am woefully out of practice. Furthermore (after some reading) it seems things are a bit more complex then what i remember, so forgive me if my questions seem somewhat n00b.

Going through the due diligence after reading 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide, i've identified my phone and default firmware as the following :

Model : SM-G900i
Running : Droid v6.0.1
AP / CP : G900IDVU1CPL1
CSC : G900IXSA1CPL1

Sammobile : Firmware

(thank you very much @ironass for such a comprehensive guide)

Now is the point where i'm kinda at a loss. According to the interwebs i can either :

A. root the phone and keep the OS while removing/disabling most of touchwiz.
B. root the phone and ROM flash.

Now for the questions :

1. Is option A viable for getting rid of touchwiz and delivering closer to stock android experience? IIRC you still wouldnt be able to remove touchwiz completely which seems like kind of a waste.

2. Assuming option A is not viable what's the best (most reliable) ROM that delivers close to (if not exactly) a good stock android experience compatible with my phone that can be used as a daily driver (preferably with a dark UI theme)?

3. Either way the phone must be rooted, but there seems to be many ways of doing it now (more then i remember), what is the most reliable method? I've read posts of CF auto root, superSU, etc.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones