• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Better Processor, Better Phone?

iphone

Jan 24, 2010
So the milestone and droid run a 550mhz processor, correct me if i am wrong, and that can be overclocked to run faster.

But with the new phones like the Supersonic, and the Scorpian from HTC running at the 1.5ghz does that mean those phones will stomp out the speed compared to the droid. Does that make them better phones?

Since the Nexus One runs a 1ghz as well, does that make it faster than the droid?

The speed of the processor (550mhz/1GHz) means the processor can do more processes in a shorter amount of time. Generally this means the device will be faster, unless it has alot of bloatware on it. The Android OS pretty much means that yes, the Nexus one is faster than the droid 99% of time time because it can do more. Now, if you overclock the droid to 1.3GHz, then the Nexus one will be slower.

Now with that being said, speed doesnt make the phone, there is alot that must go in to making a good phone. It is all subject to the user. For instance I have a Droid running at stock 550 MHz and I would rather have it than the Nexus one because I love my hardware keyboard.

All in all its up to the user to decide what he/she wants/likes in a phone.

Upvote 0
The speed of the processor (550mhz/1GHz) means the processor can do more processes in a shorter amount of time. Generally this means the device will be faster, unless it has alot of bloatware on it. The Android OS pretty much means that yes, the Nexus one is faster than the droid 99% of time time because it can do more. Now, if you overclock the droid to 1.3GHz, then the Nexus one will be slower.

You can't overclock a Droid to 1.3GHz without it becoming unstable and far, far too hot. 800MHz is about the point of stability, I believe. Even then, the N1 can be overclocked too. 1.25GHz at the very least, just to start with.

If you need a hardware keyboard, though, obvious the N1 isn't a good choice. Mind, I used to think I needed a hardware keyboard too. Then I discovered Swype.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones