• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Beware cheap usb cables

steslatt

Android Expert
Jul 20, 2010
Manchester
I recently purchased 2 new micro usb cables from amazon. The one that the phone comes with was too short for me.
I tried one of the cables last night and left my phone on charge all night. In the morning the phone was only up to 74% I tried the other one on my pc at work and it seems to be just connecting and disconnecting every few seconds.
The original cable works fine and so do HTC ones.
I thought maybe the cables could be faulty so I tried a friends phone at work and the cables work fine for them.
Has anyone else had this experience with any usb cables?
Here is the cable for reference.
Invero

I've used my wife's wall charger to charge it (came with her old LG phone) it charged quite slowly but assumed this was because of bigger battery? Used the supplied cable to connect to my old laptop at home when unlocking bootloader and to my work PC when transferring some files from my old phone. The connection did keep dropping at work and I assumed this was because I was using a front USB port?

Upvote 0
I recently purchased 2 new micro usb cables from amazon. The one that the phone comes with was too short for me.
I tried one of the cables last night and left my phone on charge all night. In the morning the phone was only up to 74% I tried the other one on my pc at work and it seems to be just connecting and disconnecting every few seconds.
The original cable works fine and so do HTC ones.
I thought maybe the cables could be faulty so I tried a friends phone at work and the cables work fine for them.
Has anyone else had this experience with any usb cables?
Here is the cable for reference.
Invero

Upvote 0
I had a work around for my problem. I needed the extra length because I use the usb cable to power the phone while using the hdmi out to watch movies on my TV upstairs. The TV is wall mounted and the plug is near the floor so the original cable was about 30cm too short. I just swapped my HDMI cable for a longer one and used the original cable and it works fine now. Don't know why I didn't just do that in the first place :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones