• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Biggest Annoyance with S5

1 - Have to scroll all the way up on Google images... (on the iPhone you just tap the status bar and it would go directly to the top)

2 - Default mail app wouldn't sync automatically or wouldnt delete messages

3 - Can't listen to music on speaker face up or it blocks the sound cause of the crappy speaker placement

4 - it's hard as a MF to plug in your charge cable, you have to actually be looking at the port or whatever it's called or else you'll fail for a minute or five

5 - Music player feature, mainly when you click on MUSIC GENRES it just blends in all the albums/songs together instead of separating them

A lot more but don't wanna type anymore

Upvote 0
Explain why? If it was better that touchwiz, Samsung would be using it.
I like most of what Samsung offers, I just tweak it some.

The bolded (by me) statement is just silly. Samsung uses in-house software developers. It's not going to buy software from 3rd parties. There are plenty of apps that are better than the apps included with Samsung phones.

As far as why Nova Prime is better:

1. Folders in the app drawer make it much easier to find things quickly.
2. The ability to hide apps from the app drawer. If you have an app icon on a home screen, you don't have to have that icon duplicated in the drawer.
3. The ability to customize the dock. Remove the drawer icon if you want, make it scrollable side to side, have more icons in the dock.
4. Customize the icon grid on home screens, so you can have more icons, or fewer larger ones.
5. Gestures!. Open apps, or the app drawer, or perform other actions just by tapping or swiping on a home screen. May not sound like much, but gestures are very powerful.
6. No lag, no stutter. It's simply smoother and faster than TW.

There's more, but these are the key things that make Nova Prime worth it to me.

Upvote 0
After a recent update when power saving mode is on it now says so in the notification bar, which takes up valuable space. No way to turn it off that i can see, apart from turning off power saving mode obviously. Also shows an icon, not needed. Does the same if you also restrict background data in the power saving options. Annoying.

Upvote 0
I hope you don't mind but this thread gets a lot of views and I need some incite on the Samsung S5. My 4 year old daughter trashed my iPhone 4s (yup it's a toilet story) and my business partner is telling Android is the way to go. I purchased an LG F3 (cheap) to experience Android and uploaded Google Now last month to get more functionality. First annoyance is that now my email icon doesn't notify me with a number count about messages. Second my messaging now doesn't allow me to view past messages, I need to send a text to someone to see their thread. Voice dialer takes forever to get the right contact and then i have to tap the screen for the call to connect, it isn't accepting an additional voice command to make the call? Overall it just feels clunky and unstable.

My point - is this just because the LG F3 is apiece of crap and I shouldn't be judging Android running on this phone. If i went to an S5 would you expect a drastic improvement in my experience?

Upvote 0
Have not had my S5 very long, but so far:

1. KNOX - can't install ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery to make proper full backups without tripping KNOX counter and voiding warranty. CWM saved me several times with my Galaxy S2 so I'm really annoyed to be without it now.

2. Cannot connect phone to PC as mass storage. Big nuisance.

3. Favorites under Contacts only shows in grid view. Cannot change to list view.

4. Can't turn off startup, shutdown, or camera shutter sounds. I understand that some versions of the S5 have an option to turn off the camera shutter sound, but mine does not. I killed it by rooting the phone (TowelRoot does not trip KNOX counter) and renaming the camera shutter sound file.

I anyone has solutions or workarounds for any of these, I'd love to hear them.

Upvote 0
Have not had my S5 very long, but so far:

• 1. KNOX - can't install ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery to make proper full backups without tripping KNOX counter and voiding warranty. CWM saved me several times with my Galaxy S2 so I'm really annoyed to be without it now.

Yes, this irritates me a lot. I want to make a full Image of the phone, just like I do with my Win7 PC. a full clone to revert back to before a crash.

• 2. Cannot connect phone to PC as mass storage. Big nuisance.

My Verizon connects to my PC and I move files both ways, some folders are protected which is a Linux Permissions thing.

• 3. Favorites under Contacts only shows in grid view. Cannot change to list view.

I solved this one the day that showed up, by installing exDialer, List View is the ONLY sensible way to provide a list... Those thumbnail icons are too small to be useful, the name is so abbreviated.... atrocious idea.
* ExDialer - Dialer & Contacts - One I use

• 4. Can't turn off startup, shutdown, or camera shutter sounds. I understand that some versions of the S5 have an option to turn off the camera shutter sound, but mine does not. I killed it by rooting the phone (TowelRoot does not trip KNOX counter) and renaming the camera shutter sound file.

Verizon model will do this.

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones