• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

artaxerxes

Sep 2, 2011
So an interesting phenomenon has occurred on my phone. On one of the screens, a black hole as been created. Every time I put an icon (app, shortcut, etc.) in that space, it vanishes! I can still access and use the app through the app menu and even add the icon back on the screen, but not in that spot. I tried rebooting it (semi-cold boot -- waited about a minute or two before I booted it) and no change. It is not rooted. Any ideas?
My OS version is 2.3.3

So an interesting phenomenon has occurred on my phone. On one of the screens, a black hole as been created. Every time I put an icon (app, shortcut, etc.) in that space, it vanishes! I can still access and use the app through the app menu and even add the icon back on the screen, but not in that spot. I tried rebooting it (semi-cold boot -- waited about a minute or two before I booted it) and no change. It is not rooted. Any ideas?
My OS version is 2.3.3

lol Kinda cool, really. So nothing happens when you long press on the hole?

Upvote 0
Sometimes when I do that it it asks me to add an icon, but then it disappears. Correction. After a reboot it allows some apps to be there, but so far the count is three out of about fifty. I have tried several and poof! I kinda like it, but is it something I should be concerned about? Is it evidence that something else is going on?

Upvote 0
Sometimes when I do that it it asks me to add an icon, but then it disappears. Correction. After a reboot it allows some apps to be there, but so far the count is three out of about fifty. I have tried several and poof! I kinda like it, but is it something I should be concerned about? Is it evidence that something else is going on?

Well, something is going on. What happens when you try to place a big widget (larger than 1x1) in a spot that covers it?
(For the record, I haven't gotten my X2 yet, so I can only speculate.)

Upvote 0
I put a bigger widget on there and it worked. So...

This is bordering on hilarious.

Update - the mystery continues:
I ran through all my apps, and all of them vanish if I try to add them from the menu. Some will be added if I directly add them to that spot. However, I found in a folder six screens over, two apps (about five of each) that I tried to place in the hole and had vanished.

Upvote 0
So I discovered tonight that all my screens possess the same black hole in the same spot. Occasionally they (i.e. the apps) will transport to the folder on the other screen, which ironically is in that spot. So I deleted the folder (partly because it now had almost all my apps in there -- some of them duplicates), created a new folder, and I have not seen anymore transporting. But the apps still disappear. Also, I moved the folder around, but if I try to move it back to that spot it rejects it. It doesn't delete the folder, it just leaves it at the current spot.

I hope I'm not too annoying. I just think that this is a lot of fun. :)

Upvote 0
So I discovered tonight that all my screens possess the same black hole in the same spot. Occasionally they (i.e. the apps) will transport to the folder on the other screen, which ironically is in that spot. So I deleted the folder (partly because it now had almost all my apps in there -- some of them duplicates), created a new folder, and I have not seen anymore transporting. But the apps still disappear. Also, I moved the folder around, but if I try to move it back to that spot it rejects it. It doesn't delete the folder, it just leaves it at the current spot.

I hope I'm not too annoying. I just think that this is a lot of fun. :)

I would assume that using another launcher would stop it from happening.

Upvote 0
I've been having the same issue with my stock Droid X running Gingerbread with the latest OTA update.

Every once in a while (like now) I get a certain icon spot on one of my Droid X screens that acts like a black hole -- any icon I try to put in there doesn't go there, it just disappears.

So, like right now, the icon spot second from left on the bottom-most line of icons on the screen to the left of my home screen, if I try to put any icon there, the background square turns green to indicate a valid drop point, and when I release, it just disappears.

Doesn't seem to matter what icon I try to put there. If I want to, I can clear every icon on the screen by moving them into that spot, almost acts like the trash can.

It happened at least twice before, with different places, but it cleared up before I could be bothered to ask about it. I will look for a folder, too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones