• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Blade Zmax dual camera effects on the Pro

ZMAX4EVER

Aug 2, 2016
The Dual Camera setup on the BLADE ZMAX allows an effect called Bokeh, where the background behind a subject is blurred.

Install a free app on the PRO called AfterFocus and you'll be able to quickly achieve the same effect. Surprisingly, AfterFocus sometimes delivers better, more accurate results.

With the Blade, the results are automatic. You snap a photo and the bokeh effect is applied. The effect is also dynamically adjustable (the level of blurring) at any time after taking the photo. It's a very convenient feature.

When using the AfterFocus app on your PRO, you can either load an image from your gallery or start the app and choose the camera option to work with a newly captured photo.

In AfterFocus you can draw three lines designating depth of field/view and the app will apply the effect, or you can manually apply the effect. I prefer the automatic, drawing lines method. The results are almost always excellent. I've taken photos on the Blade and Pro and sometimes the Blade fails to properly find the edges of the central subject, causing a flawed or poor effect. AfterFocus seems to do an excellent job of finding the edges.

There's also a mode on the Blade called Monocolor, which let's you take black and white photos with Red, Green, or Blue items highlighted. You can install an app on the Pro called CameraMX and there's an effect called Color Splash that gives similar results.

In my opinion the camera on the Pro works better in low light conditions. The dual lens on the Blade Zmax seems to only be used to help create the bokeh effect. Don't be fooled into thinking that the dual lens on the Blade makes it a superior camera. In fact, you can cover the 2nd lens of the camera completely and it doesn't effect image quality at all until you try to take Bokeh or Monocolor photos. The dual lens on the Blade is mostly a gimmick that doesn't improve image quality at all.

The Pro has an amazing slow motion mode that delivers crystal clear real slow motion effects. Sadly, that's missing from the Blade. The closest I've come to replicating that effect on the Blade is with an app called Footej Camera, but the results are at best only a quarter as good as the camera on the Pro.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones