• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bloatware, Titanium and You. - - * For the Newly Rooted *- - Tab S 8.4 SM-T700

**WARNING I'm not responsible for what you do to your device. You make your own choices. **

So you've rooted your Tab S and now you're just itching to destroy some bloatware, I know the feeling. Just the fact that it is sitting there, unwanted, useless, cluttering up your app drawer and there's been nothing you can do about it, until now. Annoying! But before you get in there and start hacking away you need to be careful and take some precautions or your going to end up with a mess that only Mr. Odin can fix. (I'm guessing a lot of you used CF Auto Root ~Thanks Chainfire~ so you've probably met Mr. Odin, Trust me, you only want to meet him on your own terms. A forced meeting usually ends in lost data and the joy of restarting over from scratch with your phone.)

Before you even start messing with anything make sure you've got a custom recovery in place (TWRP or CWM, I like TWRP) and have created a Nandroid backup (If you don't know what that is, Google it) I like to make 2, sometimes one doesn't work for some reason and also make sure they're on your extSD card or your PC or both. What the heck, storage is cheap nowadays. Also you need to install Titanium BU and don't be cheap, buy the Pro Key. (I also hope you have donated a little something to whoever made it possible to get rooted in the first place)

Once you've got your Nandroid backup(s) and are ready, fire up ye olde' Titanium BU. A couple of things if you're new to Titanium BU. First, be careful. You can really screw your droid up with this program (I speak from experience) you have a lot of power with this program and when you first start using it the interface can be intimidating. If you don't know what something does, there's tons of info about Titanium on that Google thingy I've been hearing so much about. Use it. Sure it might sound like fun to 'Integrate the sys dalvik into the ROM" but it's not going to be fun later at 2 AM when you're trying to find the gapps for your device because you just hosed your Google stuff. Bottom line, there's a learning curve to Titanium. You've been warned.
(Pro Tip: A well executed Google search can sometimes be the difference between phone and brick)

Second, go into the menu>prefrences>backup folder location and move that over to your extSD card. (if you can't figure out how to change the directory use the back key and you'll get it) If something goes wrong and you have to wipe your drive, it would really suck if you had to wipe your backups along with it. (It happens...) Next thing, you need to make a backup of all your user and system data (I'm sure Google could help you if you don't know how) Now just make an Update zip (Google it) and move that zip to your extSD card.

Okay. We're all backed up. Ready to wreak some havoc in the backup/restore tab?

The heart of Titanium, the Backup /Restore Tab. Every item there is some part of your Android OS and if you tap one you'll see several options, the two we're interested in are freeze and uninstall. But what is safe to remove, and what is not? We'll get to that in a minute. But first, a word of advice.. I highly recommend not uninstalling any apps right away, it's more prudent to freeze an item first. Freezing stops the app from loading and removes its icon from your app drawer. You then have the ability to unfreeze that app if you want it back and can also make sure that it's absence is not going to break something or cause errors and crashes.

For me, freezing is fine, uninstalling most stuff is not going to yield a whole lot of space anyhow. I more concerned with stopping it from loading and keeping it out of my sight in the app drawer... As if it never existed. If you want to uninstall stuff that's okay too, Even after you uninstall something, Titanium wil keep a backup of it in the backup folder and it can be restored at anytime. Plus there'll be a backup you can pull out of your Nandroid backup and most likely in your update zip as well. But restoring an app isn't as easy as unfreeze is. I guess it's a personal choice, some people really want it gone, others are fine with freezing only.

Now we get to the crux of the biscuit. What can I freeze (uninstall), what should I leave alone? Here's my list to get you started. This is in no way comprehensive and what might be bloat to me might be good times for you....so here you go. Hope it helps. If i got something wrong let me know and I'll fix it.

These 4 things are screensavers. Safe to freeze/uninstall.

Basic Daydreams 4.4.2- (com.android.dreams.basic)
Bubbles 1.0 (com.android.noisefield)
Phase beam 1.0 (com.android.phasebeam)
Photo Screensavers 4.4.2-T700XXU1ANL2 (com.android.dreams.phototable)
--
These are all part of KNOX. Safe to freeze/uninstall

com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation 1.0.1 (com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation)
Knox Notification Manager 2.0 (com.sec.knox.seandroid)
KNOX SetupWizardClient 2.0.0 (com.sec.knox.knoxsetupwizardclient)
RCPComponents 1.0 (com.samsung.knox.rcp.components)
KLMS Agent 2.3.164 (com.samsung.klmsagent)
KNOX 2.0.0 (com.sec.knox.bridge)
--
This guy is kind of a mystery, some say it's something for when you have multiple users installed, others say it has something to do with KNOX I have this Frozen and it hasn't been a problem, your choice. Status Unknown

ELM Agent 14132 (com.sec.esdk.elm)
--
ANT Radio stuff. Some apps use this, I don't use them. Safe to freeze/uninstall.

ANT HAL Service 3.0.0 (com.dsi.ant.server)
ANT Radio Service 04.02.00 (com.dsi.ant.service.socket)
ANT+ Plugins 2.2.0 (com.dsi.ant.plugins.antplus)
--
This is all Google. Any of it is safe to remove and most if not all of it can be uninstalled the Normal way from the app drawer. Safe to freeze/uninstall.

Google Play Movies & TV 3.6.16 (com.google.android.videos)
Google Play Music 5.8.1810R.1720607 (com.google.android.music)
Google Play Books 3.1.49 (com.google.android.apps.books)
Google Play Games 2.0.11 (1269547-036) (com.google.android.play.games)
Google Play Newsstand 3.2.1 (com.google.android.apps.magazines)
Google+ 5.0.0.85934159 (com.google.android.apps.plus)
Maps 9.4.0 (com.google.android.apps.maps)
Hangouts 2.1.317 (1328022-30) (com.google.android.talk)
TalkBack 3.5.1 (com.google.android.marvin.talkback)
Street View 1.8.1.2 (com.google.android.street)
--
This is for Google Photos. Safe to freeze/uninstall

Picasa Uploader 1.3.242047 (com.google.android.apps.uploader)
--
Dropbox? Safe to freeze/uninstall

Dropbox 2.4.4.8 (com.dropbox.android)
DropboxOOBE 1.0 (com.sec.android.cloudagent.dropboxoobe)
--
This is a Widget I don't use. I didn't list all of them only an example. If you can recognize it as a Widget then it's Safe to freeze/uninstall

Dual Clock (digital) 1.0 (com.sec.android.widgetapp.dualclockdigital)
--
Lions and Tigers and Bloat. Oh My! This isn't even all of the pre installed apps. There's Remote desktop and a couple others... Buh Bye! Safe to freeze/uninstall

BlurbCheckout 1.0 (Build 204) (com.blurb.checkout)
Business card recognition 4.5.1.0 (com.sec.android.app.bcocr)
Businessweek+ 1.3 (com.bloomberg.bbwa)
Cisco WebEx Meetings 5.1.0 (com.cisco.webex.meetings)
Evernote 5.8.2 (com.evernote)
Flipboard 2.2.9 (flipboard.app)
Hancom Office Hcell 2014 Viewer 9.50.0.2611 (com.hancom.office.hcell.viewer.hcell_viewer_apk)
Hancom Office Hshow 2014 Viewer 9.50.0.2611 (com.hancom.office.hshow.viewer.hshow_viewer_apk)
Hancom Office Hword 2014 Viewer 9.50.0.2611 (com.hancom.office.hword.viewer.hword_apk)
Hancom Office Shared 9.50.0.580 (com.hancom.androidpc.launcher.shared)
Hancom Office Updater 9.50.0.1 (com.hancom.androidpc.hanupdater)
Hancom Office Viewer 9.50.0.2611 (com.hancom.androidpc.viewer.launcher)
Hancom Office Widget 9.50.0.2611 (com.hancom.androidpc.appwidget)
Milk 1.1.183628 (com.samsung.mdl.radio)
MagazineWidget 1.0 (com.sec.android.magazinewidget)
My Magazine 2.0.0 (sstream.app)
My Magazine - Here & Now 1.3.0 (com.samsung.android.app.lounge)
Netflix 1.1.0 build 2194110-trunk-15 (com.netflix.mediaclient)
NYTimes 3.8.3 (com.nytimes.android)
Papergarden 1.01.140627.11 (com.sec.app.magazine)
Papergarden widget 1.01.140627.02 (com.sec.app.magazine.widget)
SideSyncPlayer 3.0.0.506482 (com.sec.android.sidesync.sink)
SideSyncSource 3.0.0.506301 (com.sec.android.sidesync.source)
--
Might as well uninstall these, now that you've Rooted, you're not getting the OTA's anymore. Don't worry you can always get the updates on Sam Mobile or elswhere and install them yourself. Safe to freeze/uninstall

Software update 3.140441 (com.sec.android.fotaclient)
Software update 3.19.140511 (com.wssyncmldm)
--
Samsung travel wallpaper? Ummm.. Ok then. Safe to freeze/uninstall

Travel wallpaper 1.0 (com.samsung.android.service.travel)
--
If you use this great, if not... Safe to freeze/uninstall

S Voice 11.4.0.3 (com.vlingo.midas)
--
All of this is part of the Samsung Cloud. If you use it that's cool. If not then feel free to blast it Safe to freeze/uninstall

Backup 3.6.2 (com.samsung.android.scloud.backup)
Samsung Calendar SyncAdapter 1.3 (com.samsung.android.scloud.proxy.calendar)
Samsung Cloud Data Relay 3.04.009 (com.samsung.android.scloud.auth)
Samsung Cloud Quota 1.5.02 (com.samsung.android.scloud.quota)
Samsung Contact SyncAdapter 1.3 (com.samsung.android.scloud.proxy.contacts)
Samsung SBrowser SyncAdapter 1.3 (com.samsung.android.scloud.proxy.sbrowser)
Samsung SNote3 SyncAdapter 1.0.1 (com.samsung.android.scloud.proxy.snote3)
Samsung Syncadapters 5.2.2 (com.samsung.android.scloud.sync)
--
Some of you may use a Samsung Account, all of this is part of that and the Samsung app store. Safe to freeze/uninstall

Samsung account 1.5.0440 (com.osp.app.signin)
Samsung Apps 14051904.70.035.0 (com.sec.android.app.samsungapps)
Samsung Billing 2.00.32 (com.sec.android.app.billing)
Samsung Galaxy 1.3.2 (com.sec.android.app.sns3)
Samsung GALAXY Apps Widget 8.00.016 (com.sec.android.widgetapp.samsungapps)
--
Do you use the Help app? Safe to freeze/uninstall

Help 1.0 (com.samsung.helphub)
--
I use ES File explorer so I don't need "My Files" which is Samsungs File explorer. I also use ES to go to my "Downloads" Both of these Safe to freeze/uninstall
--
Downloads 4.4.2-T700XXU1ANL2 (com.android.providers.downloads.ui)
My Files 1.0 (com.sec.android.app.myfiles)
--
Plan on doing some printing from your tablet? If not Safe to freeze/uninstall

Samsung Print Service Plugin 1.4.140515 (com.sec.app.samsungprintservice)
EpsonPrintService 1.0.0 (com.epson.mobilephone.samsungprintservice)
HP Print Service Plugin 1.0.47 (com.hp.android.printservice)
Mobile print 4.0 (com.sec.android.app.mobileprint)
MobilePrintSvc_CUPS 1.0 (com.siso.app.generic)
MobilePrintSvc_CUPS_Backend 20130513 (com.siso.app.genericprintservice)
Print Spooler 1 (com.android.printspooler)
--
Fingerprint thing? Safe to freeze/uninstall

NNLTM Fingerprint Passport 1.0.0.0 (com.noknok.android.framework.service)
Fingerprints 1.1.0 (com.samsung.android.fingerprint.service)
--
I use Chrome. This is that browser that comes pre installed. Safe to freeze/uninstall

Internet 1.5.28 (com.sec.android.app.sbrowser)
--
S Finder? How about Kids mode? Safe to freeze/uninstall

S Finder 1.0 (com.samsung.android.app.galaxyfinder)
Kids Mode 1.0.02 (com.sec.kidsplat.installer)
Kids mode 1.5 (com.wasseemb.kidsmode)
--
Samsung Link? Live wallpaper? Safe to freeze/uninstall

Samsung Link Platform Connectivity 2.7.3.7 (com.sec.msc.nts.android.proxy)
Live wallpaper picker 4.4.2-T700XXU1ANL2 (com.android.wallpaper.livepicker)
--
I use swift key. Safe to freeze/uninstall

Samsung keyboard 4.0 (com.sec.android.inputmethod)
--
I use Nova Launcher. This is Samsungs launcher. Safe to freeze/uninstall

TouchWiz home 4.4.2-T700XXU1ANL2 (com.sec.android.app.launcher)

If you do freeze Touchwiz DO NOT FREEZE THIS

Launcher 1.0 (com.sec.android.emergencylauncher)

-------

Okay then, this should get you going. Like I said this is not a complete list and I'm tired of typing it. Good luck. Happy debloating. If I got something wrong let me know.

Well Done Sheldon

Reactions: Straydog and Soapm

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones