• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Block Story -> Minecraft like RPG

@Vajsmilan
Thanks. That is a cool video. I like the music and how you show most of the features. You rock flying much more than I do :).

I have made web and pc version of the game available. You can record video with tools like FRAPS. It would look significantly better than recording your phone with a camcorder.

Yeah, you are right, next will try to make that trailer thing you mentioned. I recorded this while playing on my phone mainly to show people it can work even on weak phones like mine...:D

Just got 2 problems with web version:
1. It just stops after 30-60 seconds on my PC, so i have to go to task manager and end plugin-container addon to unbug my pc cuz everything is blocked...:thinking: But will try on another computer i have at home.
2. How to remove cursor while playing...? :D Also, i can't click fly button.

And on android version: Are monsters very heavy on the CPU? Cuz it almost always drops to around 3 fps while i am near them...? :/ This didn't happen while i was filming but now it almost always does. I can post video of it if you want.

Upvote 0
Yeah, you are right, next will try to make that trailer thing you mentioned. I recorded this while playing on my phone mainly to show people it can work even on weak phones like mine...:D
Thanks. Working on low end phones is one of the things we want the most, since there are tons of them, and the competition on the android market does not work on them. We think this is a huge opportunity for us and we are trying our best to make sure it happens. We will definitively feature a video of it working in a phone once we hit the market.

I am going to take a hard look at memory consumption. This is the one obstacle that prevents it from running in some phones, so if I manage to improve on this, it would be a big win.

Just got 2 problems with web version:
1. It just stops after 30-60 seconds on my PC, so i have to go to task manager and end plugin-container addon to unbug my pc cuz everything is blocked...:thinking: But will try on another computer i have at home.
Try pc version instead then. I think unity webplayer has bugs. I promise no virus or phone home or any undesirable behavior at all.

2. How to remove cursor while playing...? :D Also, i can't click fly button.
Sorry about that, will try to fix fly button soon. Flying is the coolest thing the game has IMHO, and not having it on PC is unforgivable. Eventually it will only be available as a skill you earn when you level up.

Thank you very much for continuing to test this thing and reporting problems. As you can see in latest version your input have bared fruit.

Reactions: Vajsmilan
Upvote 0
Just now saw the download link for PC version, gonna try it out! ;)

Update: What's the problem...? Check the attachment...:thinking:

Attachments

• ASGAS.PNG
    ASGAS.PNG
    16.6 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
And what chunk number means? number of blocks that are curently loaded? Are chunks and blocks the same? :)

I know it is a bit of a developer term. But it basically goes like this:

A chunk is a region of the world of 32x32x32 blocks. The whole world is divided in chunks. When you walk, new chunks are loaded ,and far away chunks are discarded. The number you see is the amount of chunks currently loaded.

If you see 10 chunks, then the total amount of blocks loaded are: 10 * 32 * 32 * 32 = 327680 blocks.

It is not all that terribly useful for end users, but it is very useful for me.

Upvote 0
Just now saw the download link for PC version, gonna try it out! ;)

Update: What's the problem...? Check the attachment...:thinking:

Fixed. I uploaded an installation package that includes the missing files.

There are a couple of things that don't work yet on the pc version: Flying and sometimes interface does not align properly on screen.

The interface was designed with touch in mind, so moving the mouse for accessing the inventory is awkward as it rotates the camera as well.

Unfortunately for some, PC is a second class citizen for us, since our #1 priority is to hit the android market ASAP. But we do want to make it more PC friendly at some point in the future.

Upvote 0
New version 2.2.5.8 - Jump in the water's fine

Changes

• Mr. Giggles (the monster) can jump now
  • Mr. Giggles gets scared if you hit him hard
  • Improved textures
  • Removed the orange lines at the edges
  • Now you can swim
  • Collider is now faster, game does not slow down to 3fps anymore.
  • Camera bobs up and down when you walk
  • Underwater now has blue fog, which makes it more obvious you are underwater
  • Spell caster. Select the skull, tap and hold on the monster to cast spell

Upvote 0
Wow, like all the things you implemented! No orange lines finaly! :D Very fast progress!

But i now i often get that "around 3 fps" lag when i start the game lasts about 1 minute, even if i am away from Mr. giggles don't know whats up with that...:thinking: it stops after a few minutes. Also now i get around 15fps average, around 20 when going smooth and around 10 when making chunks or something, but i think it was faster in 2.2.5.2...:/ Gonna test it more to be sure!:cool:

50% of time it's round 10fps and 50% of time its around 20fps, it like changes every 30 seconds, while in previous version it rearly got under 15fps with 20fps average and was like that all the time.

Will make video of it if you want.

Reactions: paulpach
Upvote 0
But i now i often get that "around 3 fps" lag when i start the game lasts about 1 minute, even if i am away from Mr. giggles don't know whats up with that...:thinking: it stops after a few minutes. Also now i get around 15fps average, around 20 when going smooth and around 10 when making chunks or something, but i think it was faster in 2.2.5.2...:/ Gonna test it more to be sure!:cool:

Arggggg. Collision detection is still giving me trouble. It will be the death of me.

Upvote 0
Do I only have this problem or you found it too...? On what mobile device are you testing this game?:D

Others have reported this problem too.

I may have found a solution. We will be testing this afternoon. If it works I will release a fix soon. Collider seems fine, but it looks like we have a Debug statement that gets executed every frame when monsters jump, and that kills CPU.

update.

No, not enough, it still lags. Still looking into cause.

Upvote 0
How is it going guys, you making some awesome progress i guess..? :cool:

We have both been sick in the past 3 days, so progress has slowed down. I think I am coming out of it, so I will be able to go back to hacking on this thing.

We have made some progress though:
  • Transparent leafs
  • Glass
  • Rewritten monster AI using Behaviour trees. This means that monsters are smarter.
  • Improved swimming (PC version only, but will port improvements to mobile)
  • Drowning

We will try to make another release soon.

Upvote 0
@Vajsmilan,

This forum is not working out very well, I only see you and marc12868 following and testing this thing. I believe you liked the facebook page, so I am going to start posting updates in facebook instead. I do not want to lose you as a tester, so let me know if that doesn't works for you.

Of course it's not a problem, actually i was already checking your Facebook page every time i was checking this forum so it will be easier for me to keep up with your work...!:D Already liked you fly by video and what not...:p
Also more people will see this game on Facebook so we will probably have more testers!

Hope you and your friend feel better from that sickness, can't wait for update!:cool:

Reactions: paulpach
Upvote 0
new version 4.0 is epic, it finally has doors and ladders. Here is the list of changes:

• Doors
  • Ladders
  • Hatches
  • Candles
  • Fences
  • New 3d vegetation: flowers and grass
  • Improved recipe book
  • Added 3 new quick slots that can be hidden away
  • Optimized particle system (digging should work faster)
  • Fireflies now decorate the night.
  • The heart button now dismisses the equipment window
  • A new ore "Paraffin" can be mined from beehives in trees Fix crash at game start

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones