• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth Car Stereo Advice

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on which car stereo to choose. It doesn't look like there are many brands that officially support the HTC Hero's bluetooth functions.

I want to be able to make and receive calls from the head unit or, at the very least, patch my phone calls through the car speakers for handsfree use.

I would love to hear if anybody has managed to get their Hero working with any particular car stereo brand/model.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

I have an Alpine CD-103BT. It used to work perfectly with my old TyTN II, but the Hero doesn't have that level of BT support at the moment.

The original ROM worked fine but no phonebook transfer so I had to guess who the number belonged to! Since the update it does display the name of the caller and you can dial by scrolling through received/missed/dialled numbers.

No voice dialling though which is an unbelievable omission and they had better stick it in 2.0!!!

Alpine BT support is the best in the business though, and luckily they make good stereos too!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Does anyone know about JVC unit compatibility?

I'm looking to spend as little as possible. They have some great deals at Argos for JVC head unit and speaker combos.

JVC website says that it supports HFP, as does the Hero. However it excludes the Hero from its list of compatible devices.
The following HTC phones are officially supported by JVC:

HP ipaq hw6515
HTCs730
HTC Touch Dual

Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers,
Will

Upvote 0
I have an Alpine CD-103BT. It used to work perfectly with my old TyTN II, but the Hero doesn't have that level of BT support at the moment.

The original ROM worked fine but no phonebook transfer so I had to guess who the number belonged to! Since the update it does display the name of the caller and you can dial by scrolling through received/missed/dialled numbers.

No voice dialling though which is an unbelievable omission and they had better stick it in 2.0!!!

Alpine BT support is the best in the business though, and luckily they make good stereos too!

Hello NCoT :)

I have the CDE-103BT in my car, and the Hero phonebook appears on the head unit no problem. My fiancee has the same head unit, but her Hero doesn't sync phonebook with her head unit, i'm guessing because I haven't updated her Hero firmware yet.

I think the BT module in the 103BT is actually a Parrot unit, hence the good quality.

The Ipod connectivity on the 103BT is excellent too.

Upvote 0
I have a DEH-P7000BT. Make and recieve calls works faultlessly. The only problem I have had is that I have only been able to stream about 13 contacts to the stereo from the phone. After that it freezes up. fortunately I only phone about 10 people when I am driving so has not been too much of an issue!

What app are you using to transfer contacts? I can't do any, and have a pioneer head unit also.

dave

Upvote 0
I have a HTC Sensation and am thinking of getting a Parrot MKi9200 for handsfree and music streaming. I also use the HTC with the Copilot Premium Live Sat Nav.

Has anyone have this (or similar) setup as I am wondering how well Copilot will cope - I have used a bluetooth sun visor device with Vlingo - if I'm using Copilot and I either receive or make a call, Copilot often either crashes or stops navigation and goes to the main menu.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones