• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Bluetooth connection to non android devices

Hi,

I aim to make an app which basically uses android phones to act as a remote sender/data collector for civil engineering purposes.

We have sensors in the ground to collect data. Data is sent from the sensor via bluetooth to a small 'station' which then uploads it to the internet.

Issue, the remote station is expensive, oldish android phones are not.

I have most of the app sorted out, however one big issue that I cannot solve is how to get the bluetooth transmitter (from the sensor) to talk to the android phone. Would I need to code the sending device at all? I was hoping that I wouldnt have to touch the sensor software at all. Additionally I don't know how to access the electronics of the sensor as it's in a sealed waterproof body.

Excuse me if my question comes off as silly, I am still relatively new to android development.

Thanks for any help

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones