• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Boost mobile insurance deal

I never knew that they took that away...I've had it since I've had Boost and tried to use it when something happened to my samsung ????? not prevail the one with the slider, I dont even think they sell that anymore anyway to make an extremely long story short because it was under warranty they told me I had to send it back to samsung and after begging them that i cant be without a phone they sent me refurbished old flip model or something...I did the same with my blackberry, at that time the blackberry was 199...it got damaged they wanted to charge me 150 to ship a new one, at that point they didnt even mention sending it back to rim or whatever, but I have hesitated to call them about this warp because I can only imagine the price that they will tell me to replace it or to send it back to zte which i am without a phone...why I just wont drop the insurance i dont know but you have gotten me thinking, I am going to call them and see what they say...i will let all know what they say

Upvote 0
200/5=40 months.

If you can keep from loosing or breaking your phone every 40 months (3 years 4 months) you are better off just banking the cash until you really need it. This also does not count the "salvage value" of a phone on eBay. Nor does it count the year manufacturers warranty. Nor does it count the joy of getting the latest and greatest that boost has when you get a new phone as opposed to boost giving you a refurb when your phone got jacked. If you had a contract phone, which retails for $500-$600 you have a pretty convincing argument, but not here.

Upvote 0
200/5=40 months.

If you can keep from loosing or breaking your phone every 40 months (3 years 4 months) you are better off just banking the cash until you really need it. This also does not count the "salvage value" of a phone on eBay. Nor does it count the year manufacturers warranty. Nor does it count the joy of getting the latest and greatest that boost has when you get a new phone as opposed to boost giving you a refurb when your phone got jacked. If you had a contract phone, which retails for $500-$600 you have a pretty convincing argument, but not here.

But if your phone suffers damage after 3 months and you have no insurance to cover it.Do you have $200.00 disposable cash to go replace it that day?I do but many don't.
$5.00 a month breaks down to a little over .15 cents a day well worth it by any standards.I have $11.25 a week auto deposited into my boost account thru my bank to cover my monthly bill of $45.00 with insurance i don't even notice it missing i also have my teenager doing the same(how many teenagers can say that) and not one time has there been a late payment.I have never needed to file a clam nor do i ever want to,but knowing that im covered gives me peace of mind.Can i run out and buy a new one today absolutely but why should i? its just like my car,motorcycle,boat,mt bike or home just smaller scale,its there to assist and cover your investment.I only plan on having this phone for one year like every other phone i update yearly around the Holidays its a lil gift to myself
santa_smiley.gif
so i will be paying a total of $55.00 Insurance for the year to replace a $200.00 investment if i need to,Then sell this one or give it away at the years end depending on how the mood strikes me when i upgrade.It is foolish not to carry insurance on any product at or over $200.00 at least that is my practice especially when its only .15 cents a day i toss easily 10x that amount into my change jar nightly.Is that convincing enough?

Upvote 0
That's a big if?? Cash? Use Credit if you don't! Just b/c the amount per month is small doesn't mean it is a great deal. Of course I agree that in can be beneficial in the first year, but after that not really. The resale value of phones are crap!
My rule is not to carry insurance unless it is something very expensive or a requirement. I've already paid more in auto insurance than in cars over the years. But clearly replacing the vehicles would have been far costlier. A cheap obsolete phone just don't cut it. And I guess you forgot that you have to pay a deductible on these phones, so it doesn't really work in your favor after a year anyway, especially if they are going to give you a refurb. LOL

Upvote 0
That's a big if?? Cash? Use Credit if you don't! Just b/c the amount per month is small doesn't mean it is a great deal. Of course I agree that in can be beneficial in the first year, but after that not really. The resale value of phones are crap!
My rule is not to carry insurance unless it is something very expensive or a requirement. I've already paid more in auto insurance than in cars over the years. But clearly replacing the vehicles would have been far costlier. A cheap obsolete phone just don't cut it. And I guess you forgot that you have to pay a deductible on these phones, so it doesn't really work in your favor after a year anyway, especially if they are going to give you a refurb. LOL
Well it works perfect for me like i said above i upgrade every year and the $55.00 bucks for the year is worth the few pennies a day.Also if you know how to talk to the reps you can easily get a free month of service or even sales people at the boost store can help you get a free month on a Promotional that right there alone covers a years worth of insurance i hit them up every time i upgrade and with out fail i get a month free on my and my kids phones every year.Then there also is the Referral program that will earn you a additional $25.00 credit see here http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/plans/referral-program/ i also use that every year as well So i look at it like this boost is paying for our insurance LOL :)

Upvote 0
After contacting Boost today, I was informed like I was before that I had to send my phone to ZTE for a repair or replacement because the phone is under warranty and there would be no way for the insurance to send me a new phone. There are deductibles if you use Boost's assurion insurance but I guess the kicker is, if I told them that I broke the phone or had water damage of some sort then they would have given me some outrageous price..but because the phone is having "technical" issues it goes back to the manufacture...so fine no problem had this happen before so I will be dropping the insurance because their is no need for it...I dont keep phones for longer than a year, I've been with Boost for about 2 years and I'm on my 4th phone so no biggie...I can use that $5 on gas

Anywho, I emailed ZTE and received a response right away and told them what was wrong and they sent me a shipping label....now because I am without another android to activate in the meantime, I have a used prevail (gave my old one to my mom) on the way and should be here monday...I'm going to call boost to swap to the prevail and after wiping the warp to stock, hope that ZTE gets me a repair or replacement quick but they did let me know this in the email and they responded within a matter of about 30 minutes and that included my email to them, their reply email and the shipping label so I hope to get this shipped out by Tuesday

Based on the information you provided, we have processed your repair request and we will be sending you a free shipping label to your E-Mail address.

Once you receive the RMA take a print out and paste it on the box, which you need to send drop in to the nearest Fed-ex outlet.

For the repair status please contact us through the E-Mail.

Before you post your device,we would like to remind you three things :

1. Backup and delete personal information in the phone. ZTE and the ASC is not responsible for the confidentiality of any personal data not deleted from the device.

2. Remove the SD card, Back cover, and Battery before shipping it. If sent to ASC these accessories will not be returned.

3. If it is determined that your device does NOT meet warranty criteria, you will be charged $30 for shipping and the assessment performed by the Service Center.

You will still have the opportunity to repair your device and a repair estimate will be provided to you at that time.

If your device is determined to have No Trouble Found, we will return your device at a cost of $10 for inbound shipping.

If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Once your device is received at the Authorized Service Center, they will assess your device to make sure it meets the published Warranty Criteria. To view the Warranty Criteria, visit
www.ZTEUSA.com to view a downloadable version of your User Guide or look in your Owner's Manual. If your device meets the Warranty Criteria, you should receive your repaired device within 15 business days.

If it is determined that your device does NOT meet warranty criteria, you will be charged $30 for shipping and the assessment performed by t! he Service Center.You will still have the opportunity to repai r your device and a repair estimate will be provided to you at that time. If your device is determined to have No Trouble Found, we will return your device at a cost of $10 for inbound shipping.

Before shipping your device, backup your data and erase all sensitive information. ZTE is not responsible for data lost during the repair process.

Unless directed by the Call Center, only return the handset. Do not return the battery, battery cover, charger, or any other accessories.

Thank you for being a ZTE customer!

ZTE Customer Service

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones