• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bought First Gen Galaxy Tab as a Kindle Replacement

Hi everyone, I just got a really old Galaxy Tab for $60 on eBay as a Kindle Replacement. I hate the weird Android on the Fires and I really can't afford to pay full price for the latest and greatest. I know the storage is expandable and I'll likely get a tiny 8gb card if I don't find one lying around.

I am wondering if I can upgrade to a newer version of Android. I plan to just read books on it and maybe surf the web and use the Facebook app but I am studying web development and I might want to get under the hood at some point. Is this a feasible idea or will that be a RAM killer given the thing is probably 5 years old? Any advice will be helpful. Thanks in advance.
biggrin.png

The device is a Samsung Galaxy Tab Wifi SCH-I800 3G Tablet Verizon 7 inch specs as follows (as I said OLD)
Operating System: Android 2.2.x Froyo
Connectivity: Wi-Fi + 3G
Storage Capacity: 2 GB
Processor Speed: 1 GHz
Memory RAM: 512MB

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones