• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help BOYD Nexus 5 hotspot issue NOT SUPPORTED ?? WHY

Jaynexus

Lurker
Sep 18, 2015
As a current Metro pcs Customer for the last couple of years using mpcs supplied phones without any problems I recently look into BYOD program and decided to take advantage. I inquired a NEXUS 5 open line phone and check compadibilty prior to to purchase which shows you can bring this model over and had it activated with the $60.00 unlimited talk text and data with 6GB tethering hotspot which is the same I used on my previous metro pcs samsung phone. After setup and factory reboot to like new I attempted to open hot spot and to no avail was getting limited connectivity and no acces on my tablets and other devices but is shown as connected. Previous metro phone had no problems. After almost a day of back and forth communicating with several CS reps and taking it to two differant locations to figure it out. I was finally told phone is not compatible with No reason or explanation. What's the deal?? And why am I not able to use all features that is included in plan with a compatible phone that's on mpcs list. fyi this phone was available on t mobiles network at one time. Why is METRO blocking my access to my phones features. In the mean time I reverted back to my Samsung store bought mpcs phone because I use the hotspot daily in the morning to run my Windows program on my tablet for my business for a Hour each day. I apparently feel ripped off due to the fact I purchase a compatible phone that metro controls there service and feel I'm being force to buy there phones for full service to work. FALSE ADVERTISING on BYOD

As a current Metro pcs Customer for the last couple of years using mpcs supplied phones without any problems I recently look into BYOD program and decided to take advantage. I inquired a NEXUS 5 open line phone and check compadibilty prior to to purchase which shows you can bring this model over and had it activated with the $60.00 unlimited talk text and data with 6GB tethering hotspot which is the same I used on my previous metro pcs samsung phone. After setup and factory reboot to like new I attempted to open hot spot and to no avail was getting limited connectivity and no acces on my tablets and other devices but is shown as connected. Previous metro phone had no problems. After almost a day of back and forth communicating with several CS reps and taking it to two differant locations to figure it out. I was finally told phone is not compatible with No reason or explanation. What's the deal?? And why am I not able to use all features that is included in plan with a compatible phone that's on mpcs list. fyi this phone was available on t mobiles network at one time. Why is METRO blocking my access to my phones features. In the mean time I reverted back to my Samsung store bought mpcs phone because I use the hotspot daily in the morning to run my Windows program on my tablet for my business for a Hour each day. I apparently feel ripped off due to the fact I purchase a compatible phone that metro controls there service and feel I'm being force to buy there phones for full service to work. FALSE ADVERTISING on BYOD
I honestly don't think it's MetroPCS. I'm using a byod Moto G and have no problems with my hot spot WiFi tethering. My wife has an Amazon Fire Phone and her WiFi tethering did work when she first put it on MetroPCS, but for some reason doesn't work now. I don't think it's MetroPCS holding her phone back from tethering, I think it's just something in the software. It could also be that something got switched off in her line. I don't know, but what I'm saying is that I don't think MetroPCS is intentionally restricting her account since I can still tether and we both have byod phones. Maybe they can reset/refresh your account.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input. The phone has been factory reset several times with three differant attempts at different times calling CS from differant attempts to figure out why. Also one rep even reset my account to fresh as if i was never a customer to try that route. Still not able to connect. When you say software issue are you meaning the software on the phone? It's currentley running the most recent android update 5.1.1 lollipop. The phone by the way is not rooted nor has any other programs to even consider it as a possible fault. It was never locked to any prior carrier.

Upvote 0
Where did you purchase the Nexus 5 from? The N5's from Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T were reported to have "dun block" which causes issues with tethering. It is phone specific and Metro is not doing anything on their end to stop the phone from tethering. My 2 OnePlus Ones have tethered right out of the box for over a year without touching any settings. 1 is stock, the other is rooted. Same performance with a Moto G for over a year.

How did you check the compatibility of the phone with Metro? According to the Metro website, it is not listed -
gs8vG54.jpg

There are a handful of options you can try with the Nexus 5. Some require root, some require the Android SDK on your computer, some are simple APN changes, and 1 is simply switching your network to disable LTE.

For more information, please check this thread - http://androidforums.com/threads/nexus-6-hotspot-on-metropcs.929592/

In the future, I would recommend using the search functions on the forums and exploring a little more before making a statement that a company is falsely advertising their services.

Upvote 0

It is working but only in 3G mode( HSPA+ Mode) You need to manually force the phone to use HSPA+and then turn on the Hotspot. For some reason LTE Hotspot is blocked.

Upvote 0
You can't tell them that your phone is not a MetroPCS branded phone do not take it into a store to hook it up call and talk to someone and when they ask you if it is a metropcs phone say yes when they ask you what brand it is say I don't know your hotspot will work flawlessly even if it is not in your plan because somehow it picks it up and runs it as regular data I ran over 40 gigabytes of hotspot data for the past 3 months on my Nexus 5 that is still currently on MetroPCS

Upvote 0
You can't tell them that your phone is not a MetroPCS branded phone do not take it into a store to hook it up call and talk to someone and when they ask you if it is a metropcs phone say yes when they ask you what brand it is say I don't know your hotspot will work flawlessly even if it is not in your plan because somehow it picks it up and runs it as regular data I ran over 40 gigabytes of hotspot data for the past 3 months on my Nexus 5 that is still currently on MetroPCS
I did take my Moto G into the store to have it activated and I can tether.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones