• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Brand new to Sprint and Android - Need advice

mjkearns

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
Just switched over to Sprint which allowed us to upgrade to the unlimited data plan and got a great price on the HTC Heros. I don't even have the phones in hand yet, but from what I believe they ship with Android 1.5. When they arrive, should I upgrade the ROM to 2.1 right off the bat before anything else?

If Sprint is sending you new phones they will be already updated with 2.1

Just switched over to Sprint which allowed us to upgrade to the unlimited data plan and got a great price on the HTC Heros. I don't even have the phones in hand yet, but from what I believe they ship with Android 1.5. When they arrive, should I upgrade the ROM to 2.1 right off the bat before anything else?

Upvote 0
It should also have the .6 if it comes shipped with 2.1 which I am almost sure it will be, the other 2 they sent me were already fully up to date

If they don't have 2.1 then i'd personally leave it as-is. If they don't have 2.1 and you really wanna upgrade and don't care about rooting it, you can just take it to a Sprint store and have them do the update.

Upvote 0
i think.....

if it dont have 2.1... then update it to 2.1 first thing...
you dont want to loose all the settings and customization you will do. so update first.

also.. this lets you test your phone to make sure it handle 2.1 well.... some phones may have hardware issues... and this might help find any that you might have.

Upvote 0
i think.....

if it dont have 2.1... then update it to 2.1 first thing...
you dont want to loose all the settings and customization you will do. so update first.

also.. this lets you test your phone to make sure it handle 2.1 well.... some phones may have hardware issues... and this might help find any that you might have.
Actually, IF it comes with 1.5, I would root it first. Then the OP would have more options. After rooting a 1.5 rom, they could try a 2.1 rom, (from the custom rom collection) and if it wasn't liked, could go back to 1.5, via the Nandroid that is made at the last step of rooting.

There are several Custom 2.1 roms that are virtually the same as the Stock 2.1 rom to see if their Hero "handles" it well.

Upvote 0
Actually, IF it comes with 1.5, I would root it first. Then the OP would have more options. After rooting a 1.5 rom, they could try a 2.1 rom, (from the custom rom collection) and if it wasn't liked, could go back to 1.5, via the Nandroid that is made at the last step of rooting.

There are several Custom 2.1 roms that are virtually the same as the Stock 2.1 rom to see if their Hero "handles" it well.

I agree with you...
I highly suggest getting root...
but then you have have to do the custom ROM 2.1
and it will void your warranties... you can but the phone back to stock .. to get warranty.

but that was not what they asked....
it did not seem that they wanted root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones