• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bring back CDMA. GSM very sketchy. Phone vs. network vs. both

AppleUser

Android Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2011
I have a GSM phone and a CDMA phone on Metro. My CDMA always has a signal, but way too often the GSM does not. The GSM can indicate "Searching . . ." while the CDMA has 3/4 bars. Unlikely to be the GSM phone, as it has been replaced for this problem.

Have you experienced this disparity/issue ? Is a GSM signal weaker than CDMA ? Does t-mobile lack towers ?

Last edited:
Reactions: MonteK73
I don't think Metro will bring the CDMA network back anytime soon.

As far as signal quality, I guess the old adage applies: location location location. It could be that T-Mobile/Metro just isn't good in your neck of the woods. For me, in the Dallas area, I get great reception practically every where I go. There is one area in Irving/Coppell area just south of I-635, around Esters Blvd and Freeport Pkwy that I don't get good reception. I live in Garland, and everywhere in-between is good for me.

Maybe AT & T/Cricket/or the AT & T Go Phone will get you better signal? That's the wonderful thing about the pre-paids, you can go month to month and try out different providers.

Upvote 0
I have a GSM phone and a CDMA phone on Metro. My CDMA always has a signal, but way too often the GSM does not. The GSM can indicate "Searching . . ." while the CDMA has 3/4 bars. Unlikely to be the GSM phone, as it has been replaced for this problem.

Have you experienced this disparity/issue ? Is a GSM signal weaker than CDMA ? Does t-mobile lack towers ?
I experience no signal or 2G waaaaaay more often then I did on CDMA where ever I am in the LA area, so you are not alone Apple!

Upvote 0
Here we go, been on 2G for 30 mins now in Redondo Beach, California...Ughhh

Attachments

• 2g.jpg
    2g.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0
Signal strength has improved and continues to improve. When they shut down CDMA in your area, they need to work and convert CDMA to GSM. This is not an overnight process. Once they complete that work, you will get better signal and speeds. In the philly area, I have consistent dl speeds of 20Mbps where in before it was about 4-5Mbps. Upload speed is consistent around 15Mbps. Depending on my location, I've gotten up to 70Mbps download and 30Mbps upload.

Reactions: Kid09
Upvote 0
Yeah - CDMA is not coming back. Truthfully GSM will be going away as LTE is the future (it will be several more years though). As someone already mentioned if your not satisfied with your service take your business elsewhere. One of the advantages of GSM is this is a lot easier to do than with a CDMA phone.

Upvote 0

I actually had the exact opposite experience as you. My cellular signal at home improved considerably while at home. Once i purchased a GSM phone i never had a dropped call and I always have Wifi Calling in case there is a problem with the signal. Metro is making changes to their system. Give it a few months and it will improve. You could always switch to Cricket for a few months and see how it goes with them.

Upvote 0
Signal strength has improved and continues to improve. When they shut down CDMA in your area, they need to work and convert CDMA to GSM. This is not an overnight process. Once they complete that work, you will get better signal and speeds. In the philly area, I have consistent dl speeds of 20Mbps where in before it was about 4-5Mbps. Upload speed is consistent around 15Mbps. Depending on my location, I've gotten up to 70Mbps download and 30Mbps upload.
60/30 for me. My coverage has been more or less the same.

Upvote 0
I have family that live in L.A and they had Metro PCS for a few months and they had to switch to Verizon. They said the signal over there was horrible. Granted, I think that was in the old CDMA network.
I feel ya. When I first set the GF up with Metro, was a nice shiny new Avant. It would always drop to 4g or lower. Swapped her out for a little Galaxy Light, it holds LTE far better, in the same house.
There are LTE checker apps, like LTE discovery. Some even map the tower you are connected to. See if the phone _ever_ gets LTE in other areas.
The Avant would speedtest 20-40 everywhere else. Just not at home.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones