• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bringing your own phone to $30 plan?

On T-mobile's prepaid plan page (Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Credit Check | Monthly 4G | T-Mobile), when it mentions the $30 100 minute plan with 5GB of 4G data, it has this fine print:

This plan is only available for devices purchased from
Wal-Mart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com

Does the "devices activated on T-Mobile.com" mean that I can activate any T-Mobile phone (say, a used phone purchased on craigslist) at T-Mobile.com (understanding that i will need to buy their SIM)? Or are there only certain phones they will activate?

After researching my carrier and phone options, T-Mobile's $30 dollar plan is the only T-Mobile plan I would consider. I want to buy a used phone, but not if I can't get it activated for the $30 dollar plan.

And as a side question, if I buy a T-Mobile phone and eventually decide to leave T-Mobile, can I pay to get it unlocked so I can use it for any GSM carrier?

Yes, you can bring any GSM phone to T-Mobile and use it on the $30 plan. As it says, you just need to get a Prepaid SIM kit and activate it on T-Mobile.com. If you do get a used phone, you want to be sure it has the necessary frequencies for T-Mobile, both 1700 Mhz and 2100 Mhz (needs both for 3G and LTE).

T-Mobile will unlock phones, the qualifications for unlocking a phone can be found here; essentially your phone must have been active for more than 40 days and you need to have paid over $50 in refills.

Upvote 0
If I buy a T-Mobile phone at Walmart do I have to spend an extra $30 for the activation kit?

You shouldn't have to pay $30 for the activation kit at all, it costs $10 online and is often on sale for 99 cents (currently, enter the promo code TMOSIM at checkout to get the 99 cent price) -- I believe T-Mobile retail stores also have the kit for $10.

If you buy one of the boxed T-Mobile prepaid phones, you do not need to buy the activation kit, it is included in the box. The activation kits are for those that want to use a phone they purchased elsewhere on T-Mobile prepaid.

Upvote 0
i have been battling with myself about going to tmobile; i have virgin now (grandfathered $25 plan); i really want the F7 but cant afford the $55/mo for boost mobile right now; on gsm arena it says it has the 2100; dosent mention having 1700, but it has LTE and takes a micro sim. will it work? LG Optimus F7 - Full phone specifications

From what I'm seeing, it won't work. First, the versions of this device being sold in the US are all CDMA, the GSM model appears as if it isn't being sold in the US with the frequencies needed for either AT&T or T-Mobile. If you buy the international version of the F7, it appears it will have the 3G frequencies for AT&T and will work on T-Mobile 3G in areas that have been refarmed but it doesn't appear LTE will work.

My recommendation is to try and get the Nexus 5, when it is released in the next few weeks (rumors put it at the end of the month). It appears the lower end version is likely to be about $300 but spec-wise it will be a high end phone (5" 1080p display, Snapdragon quad core 2.3 Ghz processor) and support the frequencies for both T-Mobile and AT&T.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
From what I'm seeing, it won't work. First, the versions of this device being sold in the US are all CDMA, the GSM model appears as if it isn't being sold in the US with the frequencies needed for either AT&T or T-Mobile. If you buy the international version of the F7, it appears it will have the 3G frequencies for AT&T and will work on T-Mobile 3G in areas that have been refarmed but it doesn't appear LTE will work.

My recommendation is to try and get the Nexus 5, when it is released in the next few weeks (rumors put it at the end of the month). It appears the lower end version is likely to be about $300 but spec-wise it will be a high end phone (5" 1080p display, Snapdragon quad core 2.3 Ghz processor) and support the frequencies for both T-Mobile and AT&T.

aww darn. well; i have also been considering the G2, but for Sprint. im waiting for sales to happen-and deciding whether to jump ship from prepaid to contract. (really rethinking if i really want to go to boost; but it is cheap; so idk what to do now lol)

...i seem to want things i cant afford :p...
i know sprint is more expensive than boost; but my hubby has boost too and if i get on we will be paying $105/mo; going to sprint is only $40 more...and its prob more reliable than boost....

but thanks so much for the info.

Upvote 0
aww darn. well; i have also been considering the G2, but for Sprint. im waiting for sales to happen-and deciding whether to jump ship from prepaid to contract. (really rethinking if i really want to go to boost; but it is cheap; so idk what to do now lol)

...i seem to want things i cant afford :p...
i know sprint is more expensive than boost; but my hubby has boost too and if i get on we will be paying $105/mo; going to sprint is only $40 more...and its prob more reliable than boost....

but thanks so much for the info.

I was in the same boat as you a year ago.

Have you researched the TMobile coverage in your area? That could be a big deciding factor IMHO.

Upvote 0
i asked tmobile on their facebook page about coverage in my area. they said that LTE isnt in my area yet ;(

but i looked at the map and my area was all pink-....so idk what that was about; but im prob better off this way...i just have to save up for boost until i can afford contract. and im waiting for the s4 to go on sale anyway since the s5 was announced

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones