• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Browse the web from a tethered phone

Hello, I tried to tether my g1 to my laptop and i am not a computer whiz and i messed up my computer somehow...it no longer recognizes my g1 at all. And of course, I couldn't get the tethering to work, so i am paying 30$ to t-mobile, and 35$ to verizon dsl for internet. Other peoples computers will pull up the additional drive called g1 but mine will not. I didnt say anything to customer service except that my g1 is not recognized by my comuter, and they told me that they have run into that problem with others. They said that they dont fix computers, and that it is a problem with the bios settings that have been changed in my computer. I uninstalled tetherbot but nothing i know helps me to connect to the computer again to add more songs or to back up the g1. Can you give me some tips on how to restore my computer to recognize my g1? My email is mysnowball100@hotmail.com. thanks, Lynn

Upvote 0
Hi, I have try this program and somehow it is not working.

My problem is quiet complicated, since I am different case compare to majority user here, I need to explain something:

1)I am currently have G1, rooted with Cyno mod and 2.2 droid on it.
2)I alter the APN setting, and use Sidekick prepaid, even after port 8080 block I can still achieve 3G speed on my phone, when I was running 1.6 it can be tether by other method which I can't recall.
3)I can ping it, something block my incoming if I try to tether, and outgoing is no problem, and strange enough I can still run BT on that with good 20k + upload. I can't go internet with currently setting on laptop and I am running out of wits.

suspect the problem is some what proxy setting on G1/browser, I can't watch youtube on G1, no browser other that operamini will work, text ok and no flash, I can download, but no stream video.

I think since Sidekick is run on proxy for internet, so that might be the problem why I can't tether as long as I use that setting.

and funny, if I use normal browser it will lead me to web2go and tell me I am not allow to use this service since I don't paid them yet.....

I am paying around $400 per year with unlimited text ( I do like over 100 sms per day) and 3G, but I call very very little (10 minute a week? maybe none)so is still worth it.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have try this program and somehow it is not working.

My problem is quiet complicated, since I am different case compare to majority user here, I need to explain something:

1)I am currently have G1, rooted with Cyno mod and 2.2 droid on it.
2)I alter the APN setting, and use Sidekick prepaid, even after port 8080 block I can still achieve 3G speed on my phone, when I was running 1.6 it can be tether by other method which I can't recall.
3)I can ping it, something block my incoming if I try to tether, and outgoing is no problem, and strange enough I can still run BT on that with good 20k + upload. I can't go internet with currently setting on laptop and I am running out of wits.

suspect the problem is some what proxy setting on G1/browser, I can't watch youtube on G1, no browser other that operamini will work, text ok and no flash, I can download, but no stream video.

I think since Sidekick is run on proxy for internet, so that might be the problem why I can't tether as long as I use that setting.

and funny, if I use normal browser it will lead me to web2go and tell me I am not allow to use this service since I don't paid them yet.....

I am paying around $400 per year with unlimited text ( I do like over 100 sms per day) and 3G, but I call very very little (10 minute a week? maybe none)so is still worth it.

Once u get an answer for this please contact me, I am also interested in knowing how to do this

Upvote 0
well my G1 still work, and evolve to became even better now, the setting still works as before, and I can use tether (which building in my new mod) and have no problem to tether.

but the other problem occur, which phone can get super hot, I mean almost like melting hot.....

guess G1 can never being good tether machine, maybe something faster.
waiting 2010 Q1 all 1Ghz cpu phone with modify over 3000mah battery.

beast out all those good looking phone, way to go HTC :p

Upvote 0
Hello,

new here but wanted to give some feedback on tetherbot...
It's ideal for what I wanted: forward a single port to a fixed address.

It works fine on Milestone with the recent Android 2.2.1 official ROM.
This ROM has usb tether disabled by motorola (in France at least). Thanks motorola :mad:.

I use tetherbot with this setup:
1) start tetherbot tunnel pointing to my server on port 443
2) start adb forward
3) run openvpn (configured on tcp only) on PC pointing to localhost

and that's it.
I can connect through my phone (and bypass all the limitations of my data plan :D). It seems to work fine speedwise.

Thanks a lot Graham!

PS: the software seems difficult to find unlike other stuff that does not work as well but is on the market... Did Graham/anyone consider putting it there? Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones