• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Browser - does it seem slow?

Androidcurious

Android Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2010
Hi guys,

I've been eyeing a Droid Maxx for a while now. I love the Moto X, but I was thinking why not have an X with a larger screen and better battery.

HOWEVER...

Why does it seem that Chrome is slower when pinching than it does on, say, a Note 3 or G2? When you pinch-to-zoom on those screens, it seems very fluid and quick. On the MOto phones, it feels much slower and deliberate.

Is there a reason for this? A setting, perhaps? I browse on my phones *alot* and this might drive me a bit crazy after a while.

I haven't bought one yet. Any time I've tried it in the store, the browser just seems...not laggy or sluggish, this is hard to explain. When you pinch your fingers out, say, on a G2 or a Note 3, the webpage moves in lockstep with your fingers. On the Moto phones, it moves slower. I don't quite know what it is.

Upvote 0
One idea is to ask if you can install an alternate browser like Dolphin and see if the same thing happens there.

My big frustration with Chrome on the phone is the lack of ad blocking mostly, because web page downloads seem to stall while downloading ads on many particularly bad sites (mostly the ones without specific mobile sites). Pinch zooming seems to lag while the page is still loading. Many times I just share a site to Pocket to read on my PC or tablet later (though sometimes even on the device.)

I love this phone for the battery. The Moto X seems as if it will be supported with updates better/faster going forward, and the size is great. It's such a hard call for which phone I like more - they're both great IMO.

Reactions: Androidcurious
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones