• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Buggy/Laggy after ICS Update

dmroeder

Lurker
Oct 12, 2012
Hello everyone,

I upgraded my Atrix 2 to ICS the other day and it has been nothing but problems ever since. Anything I tried to open (dialer, apps, menu's) would take 30+ seconds, some would never open. The Play store download are crazy slow. For example I tried updating Youtube and after 15 minutes it was at 18%. People would call and I would try to answer, but it stopped ringing long before it would actually try to answer. I was getting random reboots. I decided to do a factory reset.

Although it would boot fine now, it was still really buggy and laggy. Most apps take a good 30 seconds to load. The menu's seem to respond fine and so does the dialer. The play store is the exact same, painfully slow. It doesn't matter if it is Wifi or 4g.

I turned on "Show all ANR's" in the developer options. When it boots I get a barrage of non responding apps/services for the first 10 minutes, then it slows down. I still get random ones though. Homescreen quite often and "com.motorola.process.system" not responding.

I turned on CPU usage in the developers options, but I'm not sure what the information means or what is acceptable/unacceptable. I compared the values/graphs to my wife's ICS tablet and hers are much lower. For example:

My Atrix 2: 5.72 / 6.28 / 6.76 (graph is 1/3 of the way across the screen, most of it is blue, graph jumps around)

Transformer Tablet: 0.0 / 0.06 / 0.06 (graph is almost non existant).

Motorola support told me that I cannot compare the graphs because the 2 ICS versions are different enough that the values could not be compared. Maybe, maybe not. All they offered was for me to send the phone in.

I'm searching the web like crazy, but I think that the update is new enough where there isn't too much content on the subject yet.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do/try? Any tips on how to troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks

Dustin

Edit: I should also mention that web browsing is not as slow as the play store. Once I finally get the web browser loaded, we pages load relatively quickly.

The AT&T support center says what is happening with my phone is a known issue the the ICS update. Supposedly they had to ship all their "for replacement" Atrix 2's back to Motorola because they came in with the same buggy update so they didn't have a replacement phone for me. They claim that there is an update in the pipeline. Suxxorz...

Upvote 0
I have noticed that after using some apps that it is necessary to re-boot the phone. I believe that many apps have not been updated for an ICS Atrix 2 and this is causing issues. You might try uninstalling apps, and re-install them one or two at a time. Run the app and see what happens. If you phone lags after using an app several times in a row, I would contact the developer to see if a fix is available.

Upvote 0
I have noticed that after using some apps that it is necessary to re-boot the phone. I believe that many apps have not been updated for an ICS Atrix 2 and this is causing issues. You might try uninstalling apps, and re-install them one or two at a time. Run the app and see what happens. If you phone lags after using an app several times in a row, I would contact the developer to see if a fix is available.

I have found that if I wipe my phone, it works just fine until I sign into the play store with my google account. As soon as I do that, the thing turns into a turd. That's without downloading any apps.

Upvote 0
Tanya: Hi, my name is Tanya. How may I help you?
chris I have an atrix 2 and ever since the OTA update to android 4.04 my phone has been slow and lags doing everything, even opening up the apps menu i get a delay
Tanya: My apologies. I'll be glad to assist you.
Tanya: Please verify the MEID/IMEI of the phone.
Tanya: Have you checked the memory status on your phone?

chris: I have checked the available memory and my task manager lists it at over 300 MB free for ram
Tanya: I see.
Tanya: Please do the following then.
Tanya: Clearing the partition will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings.

1. Power up the phone by pressing the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + POWER KEY .
2. The device will enumerate with different BOOT OPTIONS
3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL and VOL UP Key to SELECT
4. Press the VOL DOWN to highlight Recovery
5. Press the VOL UP to Select Recovery
5. The device will start up with Motorola logo and power up to a little Android man logo with Exclamation mark
6. Press the VOL UP and VOL DOWN Key together at this screen
7. The device will display BLUE Text on a Black background.
8. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll DOWN and the POWER Key to SELECT the option desired.
9. In this case, press the VOL DOWN key till the Wipe Cache Partition is selected and press the POWER key to confirm the selection.
10. Device will perform Partition Wipe
11. The device will be back to the display BLUE Text on a Black background.
12. Select Reboot System Now.
Tanya: Please let me know once you're done.
chris: ok I will do that
Tanya: Thanks.
Tanya: How is it going now?
chris that seems to have helped
Tanya: Good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones