1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Buy now or wait? Carrier early upgrade plan.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by soy.lor.n, Aug 25, 2017.

1. soy.lor.n

soy.lor.n Well-Known Member

For people on provider financing, do you think it makes more sense to wait it out 6-12 months until the price comes down and/or your old phone is paid off, or just buy it now while pre-order promos exist instead of making extra payments into the void?
    Specifically, I'm on 12 months into an AT&T Next every year plan on a galaxy s7 edge, which means I've paid the minimum to trade in for a new phone. I still owe AT&T just under $400, which they would write off if I sent the phone back. Ebay prices didn't look promising. Samsung I think would give me $300 (I was not a Note 7 owner) and other trade-in options I looked at hovered in the $200 range.
    I'm leaning towards pre-ordering. Every month I wait, that write-off price is going down about $33 and I am doubtful the Note 8 price will drop faster than that. If I was only a couple months away from being paid off, I might feel differently though.

2. Rob

Rob Galaxy S20 Ultra
    Administrator

If you're considering waiting 6 months then I'd at least wait another 2 months until the new Pixel devices are announced. By that time I bet there will also be deals/specials on the Note 8 so you'll win either way.

I would have purchased the Note 8 on Day 1 if the battery at least matched the Note 7... ideally I'd like a 4000mAh battery. I use my phone all day every day and with Nexus P now I've got to charge throughout the day to survive. Getting really sick of it and seems to be the problem with every. single. phone.

3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

To be fair, the Note 8 won't need as much battery as the Note 7.

The Note 7 had a Snapdragon 820 processor, which was manufactured using a 14nm process. The Note 8 sports the Snapdragon 835, made with a 10nm process. That's a BUNCH more processing power with roughly 30% less power consumption. I understand why the S8+ has a 3500mAh battery and the Note 8 has a 3300mAh battery: there's an S Pen stuck in there taking up room. The last thing ANYBODY wants is for Samsung to try to cram too much battery into too small a space - been there, done that!

So really, in theory, the Note 8's 3300mAh battery will do more and last longer than the Note 7's 3500mAh battery.

:)

4. BAYFISHER

BAYFISHER Well-Known Member

get preorder, take the hit, trade in s7 edge, and do nex plan again. but in 3 months s9 may come, and still forget iphone 8 for it will be more than note8. IF you stay with att, i suggest that route. ATT may or may not do lgv30, and for sure not the pixel/thats verizon's deal. I LIKE YOU, got in a quandary, where i went from s7edge to s8plus, then to find out, even though I PAID and owned 2 NOTE 7s, samsung won't take s8 pluses for any trade or credit. I PREORDERED from att who im going back to, and they are giving 330 for my s8 plus unlocked,and had not i gotten s8plus, i would only pay 200 for NOTE 8 THRU SAMSUNG. I DONT WANT TO DO A NOTE 7 NIGHTMARE AGAIN. IT SEEMS THEY HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL THIS TIME, as others mentioned the diminished battery capacity size.

#4 BAYFISHER, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  5. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

WARNING-

Samsung will NOT take a trade-in that isn't 100% paid off. Even if you have paid off enough to trade it in with AT&T, Samsung is out of that deal unless you own it outright. It sounds like you are better off with a trade-in at AT&T and leave Samsung out of it.

marctronixx likes this.
  6. soy.lor.n

Yeah that was my point. I could get $300 from Samsung or probably less than that on ebay, but I'd owe the $400 to AT&T, so it's not worth it.
    In my situation, I'm in the ideal place for trade-in with AT&T now because this is the highest amount they'll give me. But it's also the highest the Note 8 is likely to be.
    I am interested to see what the new Pixel offers, but for me the stylus is what is really appealing.

7. BAYFISHER

I WILL OWE 500 NOW IF ORDER DONT CANCEL BY ATT/YES ITS BONE CRUSHING WHEN I HAVE A PERFECTLY RUNNING S9 PLUS/ had i had my s7edge, i would owe less to samsung for 425 credit. i looked at buy back value for s8 plus and its insulting 330. im use to getting 500 or more.since market is flooded with s8s////// is why values low, and either ATT will cancel my note 8......feelings get hurt, but i wont get bled for 500 plus i still owe att AFTER A 450 DOWN PAYMENT, after paying off 880 for s8 plus.

are you holding off for another device or brand now

8. donmeca2020

donmeca2020 Well-Known Member

depends how badly your in need of a phone. if you NEED one, jump on it, but if you just want it to have a new fangled toy. i would strongly recommend holding off. especially if you owe alot on your current device. no need to go upside down especially for a cell phone.

9. BAYFISHER

I can assure you in 2 or 3 months, there will be other new devices that have better innovative features with a less rediculous price. Even if I was an idiot in 4 months time spend totality of 1800 so far. Done.

10. BAYFISHER

11. BAYFISHER

AS PER PREDICTED, MY ORDER GOT CANCELLED AND IM DONE. AFTER ALL WAS SET. ATT SAID I HAVE TO GOTO STORE BECAUSE COULDNT VERIFY ONLINE OR VIA CALLING CS. NEXT I WILL BE TOLD IN STORE SAME THING. ITS NOW S8 PLUS PERIOD I STICK WITH.

12. picrthis

picrthis Newbie

IF you're are willing to wait 12 months for a "better" deal the Note 9 will be out............never ending cycle :)

13. soy.lor.n

Anyone know what the trade in is on an s6 edge is these days?
    If I wait a year and buy the note 9, I can either keep my s7 edge or sell it for probably $50-$100. It's not nothing, but it's not enough to make it worth it for me to get rid of. Then I'll still have to pay $1000+ for the note 9. If I'm going to have a perpetual monthly payment for a phone, I might as well get a new one every year, right? The only way I save money is keeping this phone for more than 2 years
    Actually, I'm going to look into if I can 'upgrade' to a cheaper phone. I don't know if they prevent it, but if not, I could even get a brand new s7 edge (same as I have now) for about 10% less than I owe on this one

14. BAYFISHER

never believe this one. took 8 hrs to get it straightened out.EVEN THOUGH MY ORDERS CANCELLED, IM NOW WITH ATT BACK TO THEM FROM STRAIGHTALK, AND ON THE 5TH I HAVE ATT COMING TO MY HOUSE TO UPGRADE IN PLACE. THATS RIGHT.

15. picrthis

picrthis Newbie

Huh??? Yes the Note 9 is coming out in a year from now, so is the S9 Sammy already at work on them

16. BAYFISHER

qwnt thru hell reactivating att acct, and got note 8 CANCELLED. PERIOD. IM GONNA SECOND GUESS BUYING NOTE 8.OR NONE AGAIN NOR NEXT YEAR.

17. UP2NoGooDJ

UP2NoGooDJ Newbie

Question to those that have traded their phone for discount from Samsung regarding the Note 7 issue. I am still on my Note 3 which is not listed on the trade in page on Samsung. Not sure if that means they will not accept my trade in or what? I just called to clarify this and estimated wait time is 3 hrs lol So hope someone can reply quicker then a agent. Thank you in advance.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 release date was September 2017. Features and Specs include a 6.3" inch screen, 12MP camera, 6GB RAM, Exynos 8895 processor, and 3300mAh battery.

September 2017
Release Date
Reviews