• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying an unlocked G4

shmn

Android Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2011
WA State
I'm looking to buy a G4 that will be used with T-Mobile and maybe AT&T. I don't want any bloat or carrier crap on the phone. I checked Amazon but it looks like all the unlocked phones are international versions with no warranty.

Where is the best place the buy a G4? Are the ones that the carriers sell unlocked? Do they come with carrier-installed crap? Or should I buy it somewhere else? I would like one with a warranty.

First find out which network you will so you know which version of the G4 to get, I dont know if att and Tmobile have all the same 4g bands.
If you dont want bloat wear install a different ROM.

Dell has a deal on G4's right now. $500 + $100 gift card included at checkout.
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...5b3ba123997115e460INT&ven3=112703060557458909
LTE Bands: LTE Band 4, LTE Band 17, LTE Band 5, LTE Band 13, LTE Band 25, LTE Band 2, LTE Band 12

Upvote 0
Thanks. I'm looking for a phone that I can easily switch between carriers so I'm not locked into any one carrier. I thought the LG G4 came with antennas for all the major carriers but it appears it may not. I'll look at the Moto X Pure Edition instead as it (supposedly) has antennas for all the carriers. And it has an SD slot. Not replaceable battery, though...but I think I can live with that.

As for rooting...I've always rooted all my phones (usually keeping stock ROM but tweaking it) but I was hoping to find one without a carrier's greasy fingerprints all over it. Again Moto X PE fits the bill with a clean Android install and minimal Motorola crap. Sorry LG.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones