• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bypassing Activation Screen with No Service Available

I found this on another website and it worked on my Motorola Droid 3... I had to do it multiple times until I got it but yes it did work...

1. On the Welcome screen with the touch the android to begin icon, do the following:

2. Tap the top left corner of the screen then

3. Tap the top right corner of the screen then

4. Tap the bottom right corner of the screen ( just above the grey bar along the bottom with emergency dial and change language in it) then

5. Tap the bottom left corner of the screen ( just above the grey bar along the bottom with emergency dial and change language in it).

6. That’s it, should pop up the home screen shortly, if not retry. Remember not to drag your finger, simple tap top left, top right, bottom right, bottom left.

Upvote 0
I found this on another website and it worked on my Motorola Droid 3... I had to do it multiple times until I got it but yes it did work...

1. On the Welcome screen with the touch the android to begin icon, do the following:

4. Tap the bottom right corner of the screen ( just above the grey bar along the bottom with emergency dial and change language in it) then

5. Tap the bottom left corner of the screen ( just above the grey bar along the bottom with emergency dial and change language in it).

6. That

Upvote 0

6. That

Upvote 0
I am also trying in vain to skip the setup on a new to me G1. I have an H2O SIM card installed for voice calls and plan to use my home wireless network for data as I had done with a prev G1.

The tapping in the 4 corners does not work. I proceeded and tried to login repeatedly, allowing the login to fail 5x in a row - still NG.

Cannot find a way to access my home network b4 setup. No idea what Android level is installed. Any help appreciated !:thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm a soldier stationed in Afghanistan and I received an INC in the mail today that I ordered a week ago. Charged the battery, powered it on and discovered that it requires service activation in order to use it. I ordered it to use the WI FI capability here until I reactivate my Verizon service when I get home this fall.

I have read several threads in different forums discussing procedures to bypass the activation screen and I've tried them all. Tapping the corners in a clockwise motion or canceling the (*228) activation call and rebooting 3 times. I even contacted Verison and HTC technical support and they couldn't figure it out either. They think it's because I have no cell phone service here so cancelling the activation call method doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to bypass the activation screen from the ##778 command on the emergency dialer. I have read where it's possible to bypass using the A-KEY command.

I had the exact same problem as I, too, am in Afghanistan. Basically, here's what you need to do to MANUALLY program the phone:

On the dialer, enter ##778, and press 'call' and the 'Edit Mode'.

Put in the password, which is TYPICALLY 6 zeros: 000000

Now for the fun part:

Press 'NAM Settings'

There are 3 things you need to set here:

MDN = your 10 digit phone#

MIN1 = your 7 digit phone#

MIN2 = the area code of your phone#

Press the 'back' key and go to 'HOME SID/Home NID' settings

Press 'Home SID/NID #1', and change the first value to '189' (Leave the 65535 alone).

Now press your 'menu' key to bring up the 'commit modifications' "button". Press that. At this point your phone will reboot, and SHOULD talk to the local network. (You might have to go into Network Settings and change it to 'global', but it should detect the network on its own).

NOW...the problem I had w/my Incredible 2 was I couldn't edit the MDN field. The ONLY field in the whole lot that was not editable.

I'm sure you've read all sorts of posts about 'HTC DIAG' and 'CDMA WORKSHOP'....I actually got the HTC DIAG to work (sets up your phone to act like a modem), but was having a terrible time w/the CDMA WORKSHOP.

I found another program that was MUCH easier to use: cdmaDevTerm
1) it's a zip file so you don't have download yet another program to read the 'rar' file of CDMA Workshop. 2), fairly straight forward. With Workshop, I couldn't figure out how to edit the MDN field. With cdmaDevTerm, it will scan your com ports for you; you don't even have to tell it which one. It was super easy to set the MDN#. You can also use it to set the other fields, or if you're a little timid, you can then edit them from your phone. cdmaDevTerm is free BECAUSE it's a Beta test, so I couldn't find any instructions, but it's pretty intuitive.

I hope this helps you....I was going nuts trying to get my phone back up after I was forced to do a factory reset.

-Karen

Upvote 0
First, I want to say thank you to all of the troops on here!

Second, I am devTerm author--it was designed to fix all the things that bothered me about cdma workshop when I used workshop on a daily basis, so it should be fairly similar for most basic phone tasks like this.

As you stated there is not alot(read:any?) of documentation for cdmaDevTerm, so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

CdmaDevTerm can be found at cdmaworkshoptool - A utility that parses cdma worksop items: NV Item reads(to remove plain text) and bin dumps(to find SPC/MSL) and converts MEID/ESN from Hex to Dec AND Other CDMA Tools like cdmaDevTerm - Google Project Hosting or chromableedstudios

As for bypassing the activation screen it seems there are many different models discussed on this thread, but the general idea for many of the '*228 provisioning based' activation screens is if a phone has not yet had the NAM programmed it will try to activate the phone.

If memory serves the way this generally happens is when the phone boots, it compares the MIN to the expected 'unprovisioned' MIN which is generated from the MEID(but I supposed it could be based on any number of NV ITEM fields).

edit: You should note too, that your MIN is not always the same as your phone number. It is best to get both the MDN and the MIN directly from your service provider.

Upvote 0
First I would like to say thank you for the tremendous support you show us everyday..You are great Americans!

I finally figured out how to bypass the activation screen when no phone service is available.

1. Select emergency call and dial ##778.
2. Select edit and enter service password 000000.
3. Select NAM Settings.
4. Change Mobile Directory number to 0000000000 (Ten digits).
5. Change MIN1 to 0000000 (Seven digits).
6. Change Mobile Country Code to 000 (Three digits).
7. As you back out "Commit the Change".
8. The phone will auto reboot in 10 seconds.

Worked like a champ!

I wrote down the original numbers so I can restore its configuration when I return to the states.

Thanks again!

Hi, this did not work for me because there may be a change in the new software. I did a factory reset and am in Budapest. I now can't get past the activation screen and the step above won't let me change the MDN. Anyone have any success in getting around this issue on newer D Inc software??

Upvote 0
Hi, this did not work for me because there may be a change in the new software. I did a factory reset and am in Budapest. I now can't get past the activation screen and the step above won't let me change the MDN. Anyone have any success in getting around this issue on newer D Inc software??
Let the activation fail 3 times and it will skip it.

Upvote 0
I had the exact same problem as I, too, am in Afghanistan. Basically, here's what you need to do to MANUALLY program the phone:

Now for the fun part:

Press 'NAM Settings'

Press 'Home SID/NID #1', and change the first value to '189' (Leave the 65535 alone).

Now press your 'menu' key to bring up the 'commit modifications' "button". Press that. At this point your phone will reboot, and SHOULD talk to the local network. (You might have to go into Network Settings and change it to 'global', but it should detect the network on its own).

NOW...the problem I had w/my Incredible 2 was I couldn't edit the MDN field. The ONLY field in the whole lot that was not editable.

I'm sure you've read all sorts of posts about 'HTC DIAG' and 'CDMA WORKSHOP'....I actually got the HTC DIAG to work (sets up your phone to act like a modem), but was having a terrible time w/the CDMA WORKSHOP.

1) it's a zip file so you don't have download yet another program to read the 'rar' file of CDMA Workshop. 2), fairly straight forward. With Workshop, I couldn't figure out how to edit the MDN field. With cdmaDevTerm, it will scan your com ports for you; you don't even have to tell it which one. It was super easy to set the MDN#. You can also use it to set the other fields, or if you're a little timid, you can then edit them from your phone. cdmaDevTerm is free BECAUSE it's a Beta test, so I couldn't find any instructions, but it's pretty intuitive.

I hope this helps you....I was going nuts trying to get my phone back up after I was forced to do a factory reset.

-Karen
Thank you very much Karen.. I'm dying not to see my HTC Inc. working.. Your such a big help.. Thanks!!!!

From Philippines. :)

Upvote 0

Now for the fun part:

Press 'NAM Settings'

-Karen

I had a Droid Incredible in Kenya which I hard reset and none of the many other techniques to bypass the setup worked. But this did!

Karen is right the way to change the MDN# when Droid Incredible (for me inc. 1 not 2) won't let you is to use cdmadevterm. It is not too difficult. Google it and download free. Click on cdma term application, click unzip it, click cdma term again with the green square to run the program. When the interface comes up plug your droid into your computer and select internet (usb might work too). On the top left of the interface click scan ports, then select the droid in the window above that, press connect. In the right hand of the interface select read MDN your MDN number should appear, change it to all zeros (ten digits), click the W next to the MDN#, if you have also done all the steps here via anthonyborn (I also changed the Home SID/NID#1 setting to 189 as suggested above) :

1. Select emergency call and dial ##778.
2. Select edit and enter service password 000000.
3. Select NAM Settings.
4. Change Mobile Directory number to 0000000000 (Ten digits).
5. Change MIN1 to 0000000 (Seven digits).
6. Change Mobile Country Code to 000 (Three digits).
7. As you back out "Commit the Change".
8. The phone will auto reboot in 10 seconds.

Then turn off your phone and turn it back on. This time when passing the language selection you should be home free.

Upvote 0
I have bypass my htc droid incredible twice, I first accidentally bypassed the activation screen, then later I reset the phone again and also bypass the activation screen now i use it to listen to music, games and other staffs.
before you can bypass the activation screen on htc droid incredible you need a handset (earphone) which has microphone button on it.
1 in the activation screen select your language choice then next
2 after the call it will display that problem with activation
3 insert the handset to the device and press the microphone button, it will show on the phone a voice search
4 say open sim lock or sim lock, the search will display open sim lock menu
5 press the simlock check box, it will display (unexpectable sim problem)
6 go back to the activation screen and press next and it skip the activation simple

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones