• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Caller ID Question

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
Does anyone recognize the circle with the arrow pointing to it? I've been getting that for years whenever I'm on a call and change screens.
Screenshot_20221031-121441.png
When I tap on it, it opens with choices to return to call, pause call & end call. Lately, for no apparent reason, I get the circle when I first start my phone, but after a minute or so, when I make or answer a call I only get a green oval with a call timer.
Screenshot_20221031-123330.png
I can't remember where that caller button on the top screenshot comes from.
It might come from a phone widget called Mad Cap 4, but there are no settings that correspond to the circle.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank!

so to be clear you get the floating icon of your contact when you are on a call, correct? have you checked in the phone app settings? there some floating icon settings that is found in accessibility.

I used to get the floating icon whenever I was on a call and it stayed on for the entire call. Now I get the floating icon when I'm on a call when I first turn on my phone. If I'm on a call when the phone has been on for a few minutes, I get the green oval at the top of the screen. I think that the app responsible for the floating icon starts first but then a default app in the phone overrides it. I just can't figure out what happened to change this and which app is responsible for the floating icon. I do have a phone widget installed called Mad Cap 4, but I wrote to the author with the same screenshots and he said that the widget definitely wasn't responsible. I checked the settings under the stock phone app and in accessibility as you suggested but found nothing that applied. I'm going through all my recently updated apps to see if an update changed things but so far, nothing. I was hoping that the floating icon was part of the Pixel 6 Pro and someone would say they have the same floating icon. I guess not.
Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Settings - apps - special access - display over other apps - phone. That's where the bubble vs. oval/pill live (I hate the bubble lol).
If you do have something else installed it may be bypassing this but have a look.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, when I go to my Phone, all I get is this:
Screenshot_20221101-103555.png
No matter if it's on or off, I still get the "pill" that I don't want.

Upvote 0
If it's on your should get the bubble, off just the pill - you can't have nothing, it's one or the other. Are you saying your bubble doesn't stay even though it's turned on and that you only get the pill?
There were issues with it for a long while, the bubble wouldn't turn off and there was no pill but that was eventually fixed. Seems like maybe it's broken again. Do you recall at all when this started, it was early September when it was updated but it's possible that that 'fix' broke the ability to turn the bubbles on. Silly Google

Reactions: ocnbrze and markdoc
Upvote 0
If it's on your should get the bubble, off just the pill - you can't have nothing, it's one or the other. Are you saying your bubble doesn't stay even though it's turned on and that you only get the pill?
There were issues with it for a long while, the bubble wouldn't turn off and there was no pill but that was eventually fixed. Seems like maybe it's broken again. Do you recall at all when this started, it was early September when it was updated but it's possible that that 'fix' broke the ability to turn the bubbles on. Silly Google
No matter if it's on or off, I get the "pill" and yes, I believe it started in September some time. The bubble is still in the phone, it seems to get overridden after a minute or so of the phone booting up. Your answer makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for the help. I'll just wait for the "fix" to get "fixed". Lol

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
I received about 20 app updates yesterday and guess what, the bubble is back. You were absolutely correct! I wanted to thank you again and let you know. I've included the list of all the updated apps if you're interested. :thumbsupdroid:
Screenshot_20221102-135445.png

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones