• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CAMERA APP: I now open it with a long press on the "search button".

stronggeek

May 8, 2010
I Mapped the long search button with the app Quick Launch by magouyaware
for .99
on the market to take me to the camera app. I just wanted a quick
way to get to the camera app no matter what screen I was on or app I was in.
I don't mind pressing the on screen button to take a shot once I get there, but
I'd like to get there in a hurry. Should I have had to go this route? Maybe not.
Did it solve my issue? Yes. Just wanted to share and I do realize this "work
around" won't please everyone. :)

PS. I still on occasion attempt to press the camera button that's present on the
X (which I passed on to my son), but not the X2! LOLS!

Edited: Grammar

I did something similar without paying a dime. Go into Settings>Applications and click on the last option "Double tap home launch". I use this to start up the camera. ;)

Great tip for those that are either unaware of the option and/or don't
already associate the double tap with another app or service.

In my case I already am and I already do and therefore needed/wanted the
ability to assign the long press on the search button to the camera since I
wasn't using it for anything in particular. ;)

Upvote 0
My double tap is set to launch my music as that is the most used feature on my phone. I hate that they took the hard camera button away. Stupid. I have set one of my dock apps to my camera that way I always have quick access to it. I am using ADW Launcher but you can also do that with stock. Just long press any of the dock bar apps except the app drawer and replace with the camera or video camera app. I wish there was a camera setting to tap anywhere to take a picture. When taking self pictures it is hard to get that little icon. :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones