• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Camera folder on External SD deleted on phone reboot [turn off and on]

yevets

Lurker
Jan 1, 2013
I lost 2 days of holiday shots so you may want to read on to avoid it.

I saved my photo to an 64 gb external SD card by selecting it in Camera setting - memory card instead of phone.

Initially, there was no problem and whatever photo I took remained in the DCIM\Camera folder on the external SD card. However, 1 night when I turn off the phone for charging and when I turn it on again next morning, the DCIM\Camera folder on the external SD just got deleted immediate after the phone finished it boot process.

Subsequent to that, I managed to re-create similar events by restarting the phone and each time, the folder just got deleted when the boot process end.

I will be bringing the phone to Samsung service center tomorrow to show them the problem. Hopefully, it is a specific device problem and not a problem for all Samsung Galaxy Note 2 installed with Jellybean 4.1.1 with a Sandisk class 10 64gb micro SD card.

I will report back once I have an answer from Samsung Support Centre. In the meantime, you may want to set your Camera setting to phone to prevent losing your favor moments.

I've never had any issues with it. But using a Samsung 32GB microSD class 10 formatted to exFAT. Rebooted device every now and then. But I use dropbox as a redundacy/backup just in case something does happen. Also move shots right off the card on to an external HDD using USB OTG.

Lesson is always make necessary backups of things you want to keep. In this case I have it on cloud and HDD which then gets burned onto a disc. Never hurts to have multiple copies in case of corruption or failure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones