• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera stopped working after a drop? >>FIXED<<

So, About 6 months ago, My camera stopped working after I dropped the Evo. It would just go to a black screen, and either freeze, or crash to desktop. I recently spent $20 on a new camera module, and once installed, the problem was fixed. Earlier this week, I dropped the Evo again, and it took a hard fall, and the camera stopped working. This morning, I noticed that the camera module was *****ing. The lens would click open and closed repeatedly. I pulled the battery and restarted it, and the same thing happened. This got me thinking that it could be a loos connection. The module is held to the motherboard by a thin sheet metal clasp that must be popped off to replace the camera. Apparently what happened when I dropped it (at least this time, probably last time) was that the module was shaken loose of its setting, JUST enough to stop working. To test my theory, I popped off the outer lens face and pushed firmly on all four sides, and sure enough, it popped back into place. When I turned it on it worked again. Hopefully this helps someone else who has had this happen.

Now (I think) I have an extra camera module that I payed $20 for... O well.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones