• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can a text message infect Android?

Double44

Jan 15, 2013
It's kind of a silly question but I'm curious. Can Android be infected by a simple text message?

I'm not necessarily referring to the content of the message. I'm referring to the actual raw text message itself, being sent from someone like a relative (assuming they have an infected device)?

How does the message travel? Does it visit the carrier first, then travel to the recipient in a different format? Is the message being sent as a file or plain text? Could any of the above apply to multimedia/picture messages or phone calls?

I'm assuming if any of this were true, there would have to be an executable involved to perform anything, and I'm not sure if any of that is possible with a text.

I don't think so...

text messages are sent through some service.. be it your wireless carrier or 3rd party like google. the packet shell would only have info needed to deliver the package. I would think that any extra in the packet shell would auto fail that communication.

I would think you can only send viruses via an attachment.. that you have accept.. to install.. or run. text alone can not do harm.

Reactions: Double44
Upvote 0
There was an iPhone vulnerability where a cracker could gain control over your iPhone through malicious SMSes. AFAIK there's no known way, but it might be a little arrogant to say that it can't be done.
The iPhone's SMS vulnerability: What we learned | Macworld
(interestingly, the article said Android and Windows Mobile also had vulnerabilities. This was in 2009, though, so it's likely those vulnerabilities no longer exist because they've been dealt with)

Reactions: Double44
Upvote 0
Thread returned to Android Lounge for further exploration of the general qeustion.

... Thom
Thanks for moving it back :)

I don't think so...

text messages are sent through some service.. be it your wireless carrier or 3rd party like google. the packet shell would only have info needed to deliver the package. I would think that any extra in the packet shell would auto fail that communication.

I would think you can only send viruses via an attachment.. that you have accept.. to install.. or run. text alone can not do harm.
This is kinda the same idea I was following. But how could a picture message contain anything? Or is it that MMS is capable of sending more than just pictures?

Upvote 0
yeah.. I don't know how MMS would have anything too.. but that was my only what if...

there situations where a SMS can have access to your phone and control it...
but that requires the phone already be setup to do it.
the owner must first download an app.. install it.. and give it admin rights.
there are security apps that you can load for lost or stolen phones that do that.
example: Cerberus and Lookout

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones