• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I get my data from my phone with a broken screen

Hi there,

I have broken the screen on my Galaxy note 3. It no longer registers touch and it's completely black.

It's locked with a pattern.

I've ordered a new Galaxy Note 8 with a new provider.

Is there any way I can get all my data off the old phone?

I'm not sure if I started with a google or samsung account. I can't find any samsung login details but I do use a google account for chrome sync and emails. Might it be linked to that?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reactions: csctracy655
This is more of an alternative suggestion to your query but depending on just how your Note display is 'broken' there could be a chance that it's still functional but the problem is the ribbon connector between the motherboard and the display itself has become loosened. If the phone still makes its usual startup sounds when booting it up and it's only the display that isn't responsive at all, it might be worth the time to try and re-seat the press-fit connector to resurrect your phone. (See #4 as indicated in the attached jpg.)
snapshot1.jpg
Detailed instructions on disassembling your Note can be found here on ifixit's site:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+Note+3+Display+Assembly+Replacement/31020
(see step 8, 2nd photo specifically)
Luckily Samsung still relied on mostly mechanical fasteners with this model, for a lot of phones now all the internal components are fused together with glues and adhesives.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply, but my screen is cracked and has leaked I think.

So far I'm considering Dr.fone which did successfully see all my data but you have to buy for $40 to recover it and I don't know if it works.

Has anyone had any experience with it?

The process shows it's pretty straight forward by putting phone into download mode. So I guess your data isn't that safe. In fact it makes me wonder why I put the lock on in the first place.

Otherwise I'm considering the OTG lead method here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...ed-screen.html

Or taking it to a phone mechanic.

Shame you can't unlock with the correct pattern on a windows app connected to the phone.

But thanks so much for your reply.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
I got data off a phone with a broken screen a year ago using OTG and mirroring the screen to a TV using a mhl adapter (you'd need to check whether your phone is mhl compatible, and if what type of mhl adapter it needs - Samsung generally used a different type from others). The real trick was getting into it, as it involved swapping between mhl (to see what I was doing) and otg (to interact with it). I had pin to get past rather than a pattern though - pattern sounds trickier to do blind (pin I did with the cursor and enter keys of a keyboard). Once I managed to pair it with a Bluetooth keyboard it got much easier.

If Dr Fone needs the screen unlocked you'll have that problem anyway (and it would be a huge security hole if it can get data off with the screen locked, which I think we'd have heard about).

Upvote 0
Dr Fone could certainly see a lot of it, like photos, contacts etc . I saw them on my PC's screen so is a bit of a worry :(

But as it turns nearly everything came back when I activated the new phone. It must have all been out there in the ether.

Not photos and stuff but they were backed up and on the SD card which moved straight across without any issue.

So I think I'm good.

Thanks for the help anyway guys :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones